RedHat 7.2 as DHCP server & internet connection sharing

RedHat 7.2 as DHCP server & internet connection sharing

Post by M » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 05:00:21

Hi!

I'd like Red Hat 7.2 to act as a DHCP server for my windows 2000 PC. I've
installed the DHCP service and started it from the Gnome control panel for
starting/stopping services. However if I try to use "ipconfig /release" and
then "ipconfig /renew" on the Windows PC I get an error: "DHCP server
unreachable". Do I need to do anything besides installing the service and
start it? Can I somehow test whether it's running? Is it possible to specify
a specific IP number for a specific MAC address? If I ever make it work will
the Linux server be able to pick up the Windows PC's network name?

Does anybody have an easy description for setting up internet connection
sharing between a Linux RedHat 7.2 server (which has the internet connection
through ethernet LAN) and a Windows 2000 PC? As part of the Linux
installation comes a firewall/IP masquerading tool. I'm not sure how to
configure it though...

I appreciate any help regarding these subjects. If I could make these things
work I'd definitely consider switching to RedHat Linux. It seems very nice!!

Morten

RedHat 7.2 as DHCP server & internet connection sharing

Post by Chris Leonar » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:35:22

You'll have to configure it.  This document will explain the entire process.
And yes, you can specifiy an IP for a MAC address.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/...
ring-dhcp-server.html

  -christonard

RedHat 7.2 as DHCP server & internet connection sharing

Post by David Chuh » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 14:16:13

Quote:> Hi!

> I'd like Red Hat 7.2 to act as a DHCP server for my windows 2000 PC. I've
> installed the DHCP service and started it from the Gnome control panel for
> starting/stopping services. However if I try to use "ipconfig /release"
and
> then "ipconfig /renew" on the Windows PC I get an error: "DHCP server
> unreachable". Do I need to do anything besides installing the service and
> start it?

You need to configure /etc/dhcpd.conf properly for your network.
Try `man dhcpd` and `man dhcpd.conf`

Quote:>Can I somehow test whether it's running?

`ps -ef | grep dhcpd`
If it is not running look at /var/log/messages and it should have some
information
about why it isn't running.

Quote:> Is it possible to specify a specific IP number for a specific MAC address?

Yes.  `man dhcpd.conf`

Quote:> If I ever make it work will
> the Linux server be able to pick up the Windows PC's network name?

Yes.  What would you be trying to accomplish with this?

Quote:> Does anybody have an easy description for setting up internet connection
> sharing between a Linux RedHat 7.2 server (which has the internet
connection
> through ethernet LAN) and a Windows 2000 PC? As part of the Linux
> installation comes a firewall/IP masquerading tool. I'm not sure how to
> configure it though...

Try http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO/index.html
It's a nice little page that describes some basics on getting IP
masquerading
and a basic firewall up.  You can also try `man iptables`.  I haven't had
much
experience with the preconfigured firewall or firewall configuration tool.
I've
always just turned it off and used my own firewall rules.

Quote:> I appreciate any help regarding these subjects. If I could make these
things
> work I'd definitely consider switching to RedHat Linux. It seems very

nice!!
Sorry, I haven't had much experience with any of the GUI configuration
tools.
If you have any more questions after reading the info I referenced above,
I'd
be glad to try to answer them.  Also, something I find useful is
http://groups.google.com and
do searches for the questions you have.
Quote:

> Morten

RedHat 7.2 as DHCP server & internet connection sharing

Post by Reg Ervi » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 10:20:29

I found the following link to be helpful...
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html...

Quote:> Hi!

> I'd like Red Hat 7.2 to act as a DHCP server for my windows 2000 PC. I've
> installed the DHCP service and started it from the Gnome control panel for
> starting/stopping services. However if I try to use "ipconfig /release"
and
> then "ipconfig /renew" on the Windows PC I get an error: "DHCP server
> unreachable". Do I need to do anything besides installing the service and
> start it? Can I somehow test whether it's running? Is it possible to
specify
> a specific IP number for a specific MAC address? If I ever make it work
will
> the Linux server be able to pick up the Windows PC's network name?

> Does anybody have an easy description for setting up internet connection
> sharing between a Linux RedHat 7.2 server (which has the internet
connection
> through ethernet LAN) and a Windows 2000 PC? As part of the Linux
> installation comes a firewall/IP masquerading tool. I'm not sure how to
> configure it though...

> I appreciate any help regarding these subjects. If I could make these
things
> work I'd definitely consider switching to RedHat Linux. It seems very
nice!!

> Morten

1. Internet Connection via a Network Shared Connection in RedHat 7.2

Hello everyone,

I have a RedHat7.2 server. The server is connect to a LAN witch have a
domain name (monpc.mondomaine). The RedHat server can see and ping
every machine in the LAN, connect to them via Samba (mount some
resources), etc.

The LAN have a DSL Internet Connection witch use a firewall. All other
machines (Windows NT and Windows 2000) can access to Internet.

The problem is that i can't connect to internet with the redhat server
otherwise all others machine in the LAN can.

The resolv.conf file contains this informations :
domain mondomaine
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
search mondomaine

Have someone an idea ?

Thank A Lot For Your Responses
Ghislain

2. IRIX 6.2 sys admin - beginner

3. How can i do load balancing with 2 Internet connections (redhat 7.2) ?

4. sorting directory entries

5. Sharing a PPTP (ADSL) connection over a network using RedHat Linux 7.2

6. gcc (/dev/zero problems & Segmentation fault)

7. Local Development Servers & Internet Connection Sharing

8. textedit source?

9. Help: Upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2 results internet problem

10. Linux Redhat 7.1 & Cable Modem & DHCP Server & Firewall

11. cannot share linux (having dhcp) dial-up internet connection

12. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

13. webcam in RedHat 7.2 [ Problem FTP connecting with the server ] KERBEROS_V4 & GSSAPI