Odd Conflict

Post by eagle » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:30:20

Here is my problem and I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I am trying to install Redhat 7.3 onto a P4 2.2 GHZ system with a CD-ROM, 20 GB boot drive and 8 120 GB hdds.  This will act as an FTP server.  I am trying to use 2 Promise Technology Ultra100 IDE Controller cards to access the 8 120 GB hdds but there is a conflict that results in DMA errors during the boot process (the error message is something along the lines of "DeviceControlError CRC Error" - I'm not near the box tonight so I don't have the actual message in front of me.

I initially installed the OS with only the 20 gig drive and CD_ROM available - No problem.  Then I installed one of the Controller cards and formatted and mounted successfully 2 of the 120 gig drives.  When I place the second controller card in, it all went haywire, error messages, incorrect partitions etc.  I tried to reinstall with all the drives attached at the initial install but again - no luck.

I am open to suggestions.  I am using the MSI 845E motherboard with 6 PCI slot and a dual raid controller.  For the time being I have disabled the raid array.

I appreciate any assistance in this matter as I am a relative novice at Linux but learning by leaps and bounds.

Thanks,

Darren

--
"As a rule software systems do not work well until they have been used, and have failed repeatedly, in real applications."

Odd Conflict

Post by Andreas Treto » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:27:22

> Here is my problem and I hope someone here can point me in the right
> direction.

> I am trying to install Redhat 7.3 onto a P4 2.2 GHZ system with a
> CD-ROM, 20 GB boot drive and 8 120 GB hdds.  This will act as an FTP
> server.  I am trying to use 2 Promise Technology Ultra100 IDE Controller
> cards to access the 8 120 GB hdds but there is a conflict that results
> in DMA errors during the boot process (the error message is something
> along the lines of "DeviceControlError CRC Error" - I'm not near the box
> tonight so I don't have the actual message in front of me.

> I initially installed the OS with only the 20 gig drive and CD_ROM
> available - No problem.  Then I installed one of the Controller cards
> and formatted and mounted successfully 2 of the 120 gig drives.  When I
> place the second controller card in, it all went haywire, error
> messages, incorrect partitions etc.  I tried to reinstall with all the
> drives attached at the initial install but again - no luck.

> I am open to suggestions.  I am using the MSI 845E motherboard with 6
> PCI slot and a dual raid controller.  For the time being I have disabled
> the raid array.

I am not sure, but have a look at 'drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c'  in your
kernel source tree, also check for the FastTrack feature.

Sorry, I can't help more.
Andreas

Odd Conflict

Post by yinrunnin » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:08:05

I'm absolutely no help, but I just wanted to say that that sounds like a really cool setup if you can get it to work.  *jealous*  :)

1. The detected UART is odd: maybe an IO port conflict?

Hi,

I'm trying to get a lan/modem combo pcmcia card(D-Link DMF-560TX)
working on my clevo/laptech/sager 862 running RH6.2. I
have manged to get the card working (both lan and modem) on win95
after fiddling around with irq and io settings. At the moment I
only have the lan  portion of the card working on RH.  The card is non
cardbus.:

When I test the system setup, I get:

Current kernel: 2.2.14-5.0 #2 Tue Jan 23 16:33:35 GMT 2001
Module info from /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o:
  Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.23

Startup options from /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia:
  PCMCIA=yes
  PCIC=i82365
  PCIC_OPTS=
  CORE_OPTS=

Checking current syslog files in /var/log:
  All PCMCIA messages are in /var/log/messages.

Module status:
  The PCMCIA kernel modules are loaded correctly.

Daemon status:
  cardmgr is running (process 193)

Current socket status from /var/lib/pcmcia/stab:
  Socket 0: D-Link DMF560TX Ethernet/Modem
  0     network pcnet_cs        0       eth0
  0     serial  serial_cs       0       ttyS2   4       66
  Socket 1: empty

When I test the modem, I get:

Checking modem at /dev/ttyS2:
  Settings: /dev/ttyS2, UART: 16450, Port: 0x0af8, IRQ: 3
    The detected UART is odd: maybe an IO port conflict?
  Sending modem query command...

from this, I get no response and when trying to run kppp, I get
'sorry, modem does not respond'. I'm pretty sure its a hardware
conflict of some sort and I've been through the PCMCIA Howto and tried
changing the io and irq and also the UART settings using
setserial but without getting rid of the problem.

I've checked the system log which seems to be reporting the serial_cs
driver has been loaded after detecing the combo card in  socket
0.

Help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

2. Modem tips needed

3. i810-tco : odd behavior, odd driver ?

4. linux as e-mail server

5. modem irq conflict after conflicting card removed!

6. powering down monitor

7. Odd problem with Solaris 2.5, full filesystem

8. fouled up /etc/passwd....help!

9. Odd dual interface issue

10. second HD Nightware: HELP! [odd case, I think]

11. Something odd with telnet, ftp, rlogin.....

12. odd su problem

13. very odd USB mouse behavior