Port 443 Doesn't Appear in RedHat8.0 Install....Help Please? Thanks!

Port 443 Doesn't Appear in RedHat8.0 Install....Help Please? Thanks!

Post by Open Source Poet » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:21:33

When I do an nmap on my RH8.0 server from a remote server, port 443
isn't even listed. I'm telling apache to listen to it, and apache
starts up fine.

I didn't install a firewall, but I can't seem to get port 443 open or
even visible to the outside world. How can I do this?

Here's what nmap gives me from a remote server:

Port State Service
22/tcp open ssh
25/tcp open smtp
80/tcp open http
1024/tcp closed kdm
1025/tcp closed NFS-or-IIS
1026/tcp closed LSA-or-nterm
1027/tcp closed IIS
1029/tcp closed ms-lsa
1030/tcp closed iad1
1031/tcp closed iad2
1032/tcp closed iad3
1033/tcp closed netinfo
1050/tcp closed java-or-OTGfileshare
1058/tcp closed nim
1059/tcp closed nimreg
1067/tcp closed instl_boots ....etc.

While this is what nmap gives me when performed on the server itself:

Port State Service
22/tcp open ssh
25/tcp open smtp
80/tcp open http
111/tcp open sunrpc
443/tcp open https
3306/tcp open mysql
6000/tcp open X11

Thanks for your help!

Port 443 Doesn't Appear in RedHat8.0 Install....Help Please? Thanks!

Post by Robert M. Riches J » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:15:38

Quote:> When I do an nmap on my RH8.0 server from a remote server, port 443
> isn't even listed. I'm telling apache to listen to it, and apache
> starts up fine.

> I didn't install a firewall, but I can't seem to get port 443 open or
> even visible to the outside world. How can I do this?

Until somebody who knows a better answer responds...

Didn't install a firewall?  Normally, RH8.0 has a built-in
firewall, even if it isn't called that in the installation
screens.  Could there be packet filtering in any of the
routers between the external world and the host in question?
If it's on cable modem, does the cable company filter out
packets to keep their customers from hosting servers?

What do your iptables (or ipchains) rules say?  Do 'man
ipchains' or 'man iptables' to learn how to get a listing.

Robert Riches

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:52:40

> > When I do an nmap on my RH8.0 server from a remote server, port 443
> > isn't even listed. I'm telling apache to listen to it, and apache
> > starts up fine.

> > I didn't install a firewall, but I can't seem to get port 443 open or
> > even visible to the outside world. How can I do this?

> Until somebody who knows a better answer responds...

> Didn't install a firewall?  Normally, RH8.0 has a built-in
> firewall, even if it isn't called that in the installation
> screens.  Could there be packet filtering in any of the
> routers between the external world and the host in question?
> If it's on cable modem, does the cable company filter out
> packets to keep their customers from hosting servers?

> What do your iptables (or ipchains) rules say?  Do 'man
> ipchains' or 'man iptables' to learn how to get a listing.

> Robert Riches

> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

easier solution.  make sure they are off.

/etc/init.d/iptables stop
/etc/init.d/ipchaines stop

alternately:

service iptables stop
service ipchains stop

ken k

1. Does port 443 need to be open to 'POST' to an HTTPS site?

Hi

I have Perl scripts, on my webserver hosted by a 3rd party, that need
to be able to POST to an HTTPS site to complete a simple handshaking
process. I have been told that all they need to do is install
crypt::SSLeay, but they say they would need to open port 443 too. Is
that the case? What would be the problems with opening that port?

Pete

2. mmap

3. Checking https port(443) if it's still alive

4. Help with IP Masquerading

5. SSL Can't Bind to Port 443

6. backup recommendations

7. apache 1.3.6: won't listen to port 443

8. vi, elvis, xterm, cut, paste

9. apache listen to port 80, another standalone apache+modssl listen port 443, not working..?!

10. How to make Apache to treat port 443 as a normal port (not ssl)

11. Apache on both port 80 and port 443: have to manually duplicate all directives?

12. I've installed TurboLinux but it doesn't appears?

13. Help with Apache SSL setup for ports 80 and 443