gnome panel/applet crashes render desktop unusable!

gnome panel/applet crashes render desktop unusable!

Post by Cr » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:25:43

Greetings all,

I'm having a big problem with the panel in gnome. I'm running Red Hat
8.0  with the default gnome installation on a Dell inspiron 8200
laptop. I had configured my main panel with the battery indicator
applet. I was using a mouse with the computer and then I removed it
the next time I booted the machine. When kudzu came up, I accidently
configured the mouse with the wrong drivers. When I logged into gnome,
the built-in mouse/touchpad spazzed out and started moving all of my
icons and panels around the desktop. I couldn't get control of the
mouse, and ended up killing the gnome session manually.

I got my mouse reconfigured properly, but now whenever I login into
gnome, one of the relocated panels appears and immediately and the
battery indicator applet crashes. A message box pops up which says:

Application "gnome-panel" (process 2280) has crashed
due to a fatal error.
(Aborted)

and gives an "OK" button. When I press "OK," the applet crashes again
and the same message appears and the process repeats itself endlessly.
I can get a terminal up, and I tried killing gnome processes, but this
did nothing. Gnome is pretty much useless at this point. How can I get
my gnome back??

Where does gnome save user's desktop configurations? I moved all of
the .gnome* directories out of the way and then logged into the
desktop thinking maybe the config files saying "load the battery
applet on this panel" might be lost and I could regain control of
gnome, but no such luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Chris

gnome panel/applet crashes render desktop unusable!

Post by Brett E. Dufaul » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:00:27

...snip "machine goes to heck in a handbasket" ...

Quote:> Where does gnome save user's desktop configurations? I moved all of
> the .gnome* directories out of the way and then logged into the
> desktop thinking maybe the config files saying "load the battery
> applet on this panel" might be lost and I could regain control of
> gnome, but no such luck.

There's also a .gconf directory tree that holds a lot of Gnome settings
(including some panel settings!), so perhaps also try deleting that .gconf
directory tree?

Good luck!
--Brett

--
There are no fnords in my email address...

1. GNOME panel crashes on startup... many errors, no panel... help!

I had Gnome up and running great under FreeBSD 4-Stable. Then I installed
BitchX and Everybuddy. After that, my panel won't run at all. I get
multiple errors when starting up gnome... and gnome does start, but the
panel crashes and does not.

Can anyone help? I tried nuking the ~/.gnome directory... panel still
crashes... removed most of gnome and reinstalled from ports, panel still
crashes. Any help would be most appreciated.

-=Elden=-

2. Having trouble writing to stderr in a csh script

3. Removing the desktop applet from the panel.

4. How to view DISPLAY on different computers

5. gnome panel loses applets

6. SiS 6202 and XFree

7. Tooltip trouble in bubbling GNOME panel applet

8. code in tcp_select_initial_window

9. gnome panel applet menus and drag and drop

10. Gnome Panel Applets

11. gnome and panel applets

12. GNOME Panel: workspace applet gone; how to get back?

13. RH8 Gnome panel modem applet