Best place for flatfiles?

Post by Charles Cowdric » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:27:32

We are moving our webserver from NT to Red Hat 6.2. I have several comma
and fixed-length flatfiles manipulated by cgi/Perl scripts. Since I'm
new to Linux, I'm wondering where to store these files? My inclination
is the /var directory, but I haven't found anything in the FAQs about
the best directory for such things and I want to put them in the
*standard* or *normal* directory  for this kind of thing. Is there a
*best* place?

Best place for flatfiles?

Post by i82muc » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:58:37

Quote:> We are moving our webserver from NT to Red Hat 6.2. I have several comma
> and fixed-length flatfiles manipulated by cgi/Perl scripts. Since I'm
> new to Linux, I'm wondering where to store these files? My inclination
> is the /var directory, but I haven't found anything in the FAQs about
> the best directory for such things and I want to put them in the
> *standard* or *normal* directory  for this kind of thing. Is there a
> *best* place?

I don't think there's a best place.  I would put them in
/usr/local/'webappname' or /usr/tmp.  Maybe /var/tmp...  Those are my
choices.  If it could grow quite large then you probably want to partition
it off from other apps - so my first choice might be better.  Hopefully
you've used a variable for the file home location in your scripts and you
could move it around real easy down the road.

1. Best place to place shell scripts for all users to have access

The subject line just about says it all really. Is there a standard
directory for shell scripts?

Also if I call script B from script A where both use the same shell,
that is the first line is something like:

#! /bin/bash

Does script B load a new shell or does it recognise that the required
shell is currently active?

Bob Wightman

2. System goes down - "no more sockets"

3. Where's best place to host for quality and pricing?

4. Help, Urgent! Partition Table screwed up, Want bruteforce recovery

5. Best Place to Buy Yagrass' Plug and Play.

6. convert like a VMS?

7. The best place to find help?

8. async nfs, how?

9. Best Place to put in route cmd

10. Best place for PPC rpm's?

11. Best place to get up to date kernels???

12. Best place for firewall script?

13. best place to scan for new software/releases