first attempt to compile a new kernel and editing GRUB

first attempt to compile a new kernel and editing GRUB

Post by mebSut » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:17:33

This was my first attempt to compile a new kernel. I went from a default
RH 7.2 kernel to 2.4.17. Everything seemed to go fine but.....I have GRUB
as my boot loader and I,m not sure how to edit it. I tried changing just
the kernel numbers [2.4.7-10 to 2.4.17] but it didn't work. This was the
output after a edit and reboot.

root (hd,0)
filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83 kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.17 ro
root=/dev/hda2 hdd=ide-scsi [linux-bzImage, setup=0xa00,size=0xe5c56]
initrd /initrd-2.4.17.img
  error 15: file not found

I know that initrd-2.4.17.img was never there or made so edited it out but
it still wont boot. Another question is why does it say I have ext2fs?
Maybe I screwed up in the "make xconfig"

Thanks for any help

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. rationing bandwidth???

3. compile new kernel => compile new iptables ?

4. error message

5. compiling new kernel for the first time

6. Can I install VAC++ and Compilers?

7. Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

8. kfm file sorting?

9. new xwb Version 2.0 - editing-compiling-textprocessing tool

10. How to put new build kernel into Grub

11. booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

12. New Kernel and Grub problem

13. GrUB Hangs after new kernel installed