text console login, how to fix reversed upper/lower case?

text console login, how to fix reversed upper/lower case?

Post by Robert M. Riches J » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:26:36

When the text console login (runlevel=3) decides it needs to
reverse upper and lower case, how can one get it to return
to normal behavior?

Apparently, Linux text console login has has a "feature"
that once allowed Unix to work with terribly old teletypes
and similar hardware that could only do upper case.  When I
tried to log in on the (text) console yesterday, I must have
somehow triggered it, because even after toggling the caps
lock key until the caps lock LED on the keyboard turned off,
the system echoed my username in upper case.  With the caps
lock LED turned on, the system echoed my username in lower
case.

I tried control-D, control-C, and a bunch of other tactics
that I seem to recall having used on old Unix systems to
revert to normal behavior when stuck in the reverse-case
mode.  Nothing helped.  Rebooting (via SSH from another
machine) made the symptom go away.

So, what is the method to get Linux text console login to
return to normal (non-reversing) behavior?

Thanks.

Robert Riches

text console login, how to fix reversed upper/lower case?

Post by G. Wolfe Woodbur » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:53:36

Quote:> When the text console login (runlevel=3) decides it needs to
> reverse upper and lower case, how can one get it to return
> to normal behavior?

> Apparently, Linux text console login has has a "feature"
> that once allowed Unix to work with terribly old teletypes
> and similar hardware that could only do upper case.  When I
> tried to log in on the (text) console yesterday, I must have
> somehow triggered it, because even after toggling the caps
> lock key until the caps lock LED on the keyboard turned off,
> the system echoed my username in upper case.  With the caps
> lock LED turned on, the system echoed my username in lower
> case.

> I tried control-D, control-C, and a bunch of other tactics
> that I seem to recall having used on old Unix systems to
> revert to normal behavior when stuck in the reverse-case
> mode.  Nothing helped.  Rebooting (via SSH from another
> machine) made the symptom go away.

> So, what is the method to get Linux text console login to
> return to normal (non-reversing) behavior?

man stty

stty -a    #to see the settings

stty -iuclc -olcuc
  or
stty sane

You shouldn't have had to reboot.  Logging out of the terminal should
have reset the terminal.  At worst you might have had to ssh in and kill
the loging process.

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U

Post by Robert M. Riches J » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:11:37

>> When the text console login (runlevel=3) decides it needs to
>> reverse upper and lower case, how can one get it to return
>> to normal behavior?

>> Apparently, Linux text console login has has a "feature"
>> that once allowed Unix to work with terribly old teletypes
>> and similar hardware that could only do upper case.  When I
>> tried to log in on the (text) console yesterday, I must have
>> somehow triggered it, because even after toggling the caps
>> lock key until the caps lock LED on the keyboard turned off,
>> the system echoed my username in upper case.  With the caps
>> lock LED turned on, the system echoed my username in lower
>> case.

>> I tried control-D, control-C, and a bunch of other tactics
>> that I seem to recall having used on old Unix systems to
>> revert to normal behavior when stuck in the reverse-case
>> mode.  Nothing helped.  Rebooting (via SSH from another
>> machine) made the symptom go away.

>> So, what is the method to get Linux text console login to
>> return to normal (non-reversing) behavior?

> man stty

> stty -a    #to see the settings

> stty -iuclc -olcuc
>   or
> stty sane

> You shouldn't have had to reboot.  Logging out of the terminal should
> have reset the terminal.  At worst you might have had to ssh in and kill
> the loging process.

Your suggestions seem to assume I was already logged in to
the text console.  The problem was I could not log in.  No
combination of caps lock while logging in I tried would
accept my password.  (Perhaps, holding down shift while
entering both username and password would have worked.)

At least on the older Unix systems I used in the dark ages,
hitting control-D or control-C (one of them worked) would
restore normal case handling.  When I tried that yesterday,
it did not work.

Thanks for trying to help.

Robert Riches

Post by G. Wolfe Woodbur » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:32:16

>>> So, what is the method to get Linux text console login to
>>> return to normal (non-reversing) behavior?

>> man stty

>> stty -a    #to see the settings

>> stty -iuclc -olcuc
>>   or
>> stty sane

>> You shouldn't have had to reboot.  Logging out of the terminal should
>> have reset the terminal.  At worst you might have had to ssh in and kill
>> the loging process.

> Your suggestions seem to assume I was already logged in to
> the text console.  The problem was I could not log in.  No
> combination of caps lock while logging in I tried would
> accept my password.  (Perhaps, holding down shift while
> entering both username and password would have worked.)

You can read the man pages on any sort of login.  You should be able to
kill the login process itself (it might still be the "agetty" process)
from the remote login.  With a little bit of i/o redirection trickery
you can do the stty settings too.

Quote:> At least on the older Unix systems I used in the dark ages,
> hitting control-D or control-C (one of them worked) would
> restore normal case handling.  When I tried that yesterday,
> it did not work.

You might want to investigate the agetty/login startup sequence.
The control-d (EOF) should have caused the agetty to exit and to reset
the console settings.  IIRC the agetty will also exit after a number of
failed attempts and that would also reset the console.

The old habits *should* still work.  Does anyone know agetty enough to
add some detail?

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U
"The Line Eater is a boojum snark."     Hug your wolf.

1. upper case vs lower case ****newbie*****

hey guys......thanks for the help.....
now i need to input a variable so that whether the user inputs upper or
lower case it will accept it
hence  this will work for "Q" but not for "q" ............. anyone wanna
help out .......... thanks again

read COIN_VAR
if [ $COIN_VAR = "Q" ];then                                         #1st If
statement
  echo "$Q_MESS,
         You have deposited $Q_AMT cents. Please insert `expr 50 - $Q_AMT`
more cents"
else

2. rename multiple files

3. lower case <-> upper case

4. TCP vs. UDP and message boundaries

5. upper case vs lower case account names

6. Semaphore limit in Solaris 2.5.1 (HW 4/97)?

7. Script to Convert Upper Case Filenames to Lower Case

8. Server Setup

9. change lower case word to upper case using sed?

10. Convert upper case to lower case

11. Converting from lower case to upper case using sed

12. Help: how to convert lower case to upper case?

13. Upper case to lower case