NewBie Q': Install Linux REDHAT 7 on win98 Machine(MultiBoot) on 40 GB HDD

NewBie Q': Install Linux REDHAT 7 on win98 Machine(MultiBoot) on 40 GB HDD

Post by Shakeel Akb » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:22:01

Hi,

I have little experience of installing Linux over win98.
I have a 40 GB HDD I want to retain all my windoz & install linux RH
7.0 with it. I have one pri 7 GB Partition & rest 6 Partitions each of
5 GB.

I want to retain all my current windoz & install linux
anyone with experience in this type of installation plz help me out in
detail.

Thanx in Adv,
SHAKEEL

Post by J Haywar » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:56:57

> Hi,

> I have little experience of installing Linux over win98. I have a 40 GB
> HDD I want to retain all my windoz & install linux RH 7.0 with it. I
> have one pri 7 GB Partition & rest 6 Partitions each of 5 GB.

> I want to retain all my current windoz & install linux anyone with
> experience in this type of installation plz help me out in detail.

> Thanx in Adv,
> SHAKEEL

I would recommend you use at least RedHat 7.1/7.2. Documentation for
RedHat. Read the installation guide for the version you wish to install.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Regards,
        Jim H

--
Visit the discussion board at:
http://www.getlinuxonline.com/cgi-bin/Discussion/YaBB.cgi

Post by phob » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:56:15

> Hi,

> I have little experience of installing Linux over win98.
> I have a 40 GB HDD I want to retain all my windoz & install linux RH
> 7.0 with it. I have one pri 7 GB Partition & rest 6 Partitions each of
> 5 GB.

> I want to retain all my current windoz & install linux
> anyone with experience in this type of installation plz help me out in
> detail.

The easiest way of doing this will be to cram as much as possible into
the early partitions. Clear out the last few partitions, depending on
how much space you want to give Linux. Then install Linux as the
dual-boot FAQs and Howtos recommend (RH7 is very friendly during
install) and you'll be allowed to repartition your hard drive so the
last two or three partitions become one big partition for Linux.

I had a similar situation (a few months ago, when I decided to give
Linux a try) with Win95 living on the first of fif* two-gig
partitions. Linux got the last three. No disaster struck Windows,
except that the CD drive, previously known as Q:, suddenly became N:,
and a whole slew of programs failed to realise what had happened and
came up with 'Insert CD!!!!' messages. I was working with RedHat 7.0
from the 'For Dummies' book, which is very helpful throughout the
install and setup but after that is much less so. I've since upgraded
to 7.2 which is MUCH nicer.

Good luck!

1. RH 7.0 on 40 GB HDD with Win98 (Multiboot )

Hi,

I have 40 GB HDD with win98
i have first 7 GB Partition Rest of the extended & logical partitions
are 5 GB each

I am installing linux Red Hat 7.0 I installed linux in past & iam
trying to divide the
7 GB Partition using FIPS but in linux install i dont know wat to do
!!

Can u give guidelines for using any other software which can divide
the 1st 7 GB
partition & i can install linux on it.

Plz tell me solution as i want to retain all partitions & divide my 7
GB Primary
Partition without destroying any data & to install linux on it

Thanx in adv,
SHAKEEL

2. XEmacs troubles

3. Lilo "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

4. how to add route

5. Problems with Asus T2P4 and 40 GB HDD

6. test mail

7. LILO saying "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

8. BASH Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ version 3.29)

9. Not able to install win98 & linux on Dell 450 with 17 GB HDD

10. Installing Linux on a 40 Gb Maxtor UDMA66

11. 40 GB Seagate disk and only 8 GB usable

12. Will 20/40 GB tape drv write 5 GB tape?

13. New IBM IDE drive recognized as 40 GB but is 80 GB