Red Hat 8.0 Configuration

Post by Varun Kana » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:35:08

I have a PC Intel P4 with D845GLAD motherboard, integrated sound and
Graphics card. It is recently purchased. It has windows XP running on
it. I installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on it, and the X configuration is
giving the following errors
1. Although the computer has 64 Mb VRAM it detects only 16.
2. The resolution does not get set to anything other that 640x480,
inspite of the options being available.

Please help if possible. Windows is running fine with no problems, so
I doubt if there are any hardware problems.
Thanks in advance,
Varun Kanade

Red Hat 8.0 Configuration

Post by Paul Helse » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:04:12

Hi,

Are you using LILO or GRUB to boot your PC?

Paul.

Quote:> I have a PC Intel P4 with D845GLAD motherboard, integrated sound and
> Graphics card. It is recently purchased. It has windows XP running on
> it. I installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on it, and the X configuration is
> giving the following errors
> 1. Although the computer has 64 Mb VRAM it detects only 16.
> 2. The resolution does not get set to anything other that 640x480,
> inspite of the options being available.

> Please help if possible. Windows is running fine with no problems, so
> I doubt if there are any hardware problems.
> Thanks in advance,
> Varun Kanade

Red Hat 8.0 Configuration

Post by Varun Kana » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 06:20:51

I am using Grub as the boot loader
Varun Kanade

> Hi,

> Are you using LILO or GRUB to boot your PC?

> Paul.

> > I have a PC Intel P4 with D845GLAD motherboard, integrated sound and
> > Graphics card. It is recently purchased. It has windows XP running on
> > it. I installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on it, and the X configuration is
> > giving the following errors
> > 1. Although the computer has 64 Mb VRAM it detects only 16.
> > 2. The resolution does not get set to anything other that 640x480,
> > inspite of the options being available.

> > Please help if possible. Windows is running fine with no problems, so
> > I doubt if there are any hardware problems.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Varun Kanade

Red Hat 8.0 Configuration

Post by Paul Helse » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:40:31

Hi,

The kernel not always recognizes all of the RAM. You can find this out by:
     cat  /proc/meminfo
If it doesn't say that there is 64 MB try this one out:
In your   /boot/grub/grub.conf   you have a line that looks simular to this:
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=/dev/hda2
At the end of that line add the following:
     mem=64M
so that it now reads:
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=/dev/hda2 mem=64M
Save it and reboot.
I hope this takes care of the 2 problems.

Greetings,
Paul.

> I am using Grub as the boot loader

> > Are you using LILO or GRUB to boot your PC?

> > > it. I installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 on it, and the X configuration is
> > > giving the following errors
> > > 1. Although the computer has 64 Mb VRAM it detects only 16.
> > > 2. The resolution does not get set to anything other that 640x480,
> > > inspite of the options being available.

> > > Please help if possible. Windows is running fine with no problems, so
> > > I doubt if there are any hardware problems.

1. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

Hello,
I maintain a linux system in my home ( RED HAT LINUX 8.0). There are
three users in the system. There are only three partitions in the
system: /bin, / and /swap. Everybody use the Gnome or KDE desktop
environment and use there own home directory to save their works.
I want to upgrade my system to RED HAT LINUX 9.0. I have decided to
carry on a full installation of RED HAT LINUX 9.0 after formatting the
partitions. Then I will copy the individual home directory of the
users which I regularly backup in  CD-R. Will it work ? Will any user
lose their works or his/her settings ?

Thanking you
shamim

2. Problem with Netscape 2.0 on Slackware 3.0 (K1.3.20)

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. screen problem with laptop

5. red hat linux 8.0 - i have setup the server settings - services - service configuration

6. Keep fetchmail running as daemon for certain user

7. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

8. Windows VS Linux

9. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

10. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

11. Red Hat Piranha and Red Hat 7

12. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

13. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)