remote shutdown

Post by Daniel Che » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 04:59:08

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a way to remotely shutdown a linux machine
without actually telneting/ssh in to that machine. The scenario is a
*Power UPS connected to a Windows machine which monitors the amount of
battery left. When low on battery, the Windows machine will shutdown. This
works fine. However, the Linux box is also hooked up to the same UPS but
cannot monitor it as there is only one communications port on the UPS. How
can I make Windows shutdown my Linux box also when battery is low? Thanks.

Daniel

remote shutdown

Post by James Knot » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:32:54

> Hi,
> I was wondering if there is a way to remotely shutdown a linux machine
> without actually telneting/ssh in to that machine. The scenario is a
> *Power UPS connected to a Windows machine which monitors the
> amount of battery left. When low on battery, the Windows machine will
> shutdown. This works fine. However, the Linux box is also hooked up to
> the same UPS but cannot monitor it as there is only one communications
> port on the UPS. How can I make Windows shutdown my Linux box also
> when battery is low? Thanks.

If the UPS only sends a message and doesn't require anything back, you
can wire the receive wire of the serial ports together, so that both
computers can read it.  You can also use some file as a flag that gets
checked frequently.

--

james.knott.

remote shutdown

Post by Daniel Che » Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:32:18

It's a smart UPS, so I guess it does expect something back. I know of a APC
daemon that does this very well, but it only works with APC UPSes, and mine
isn't an APC. Thanks.

Daniel

> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if there is a way to remotely shutdown a linux machine
> > without actually telneting/ssh in to that machine. The scenario is a
> > *Power UPS connected to a Windows machine which monitors the
> > amount of battery left. When low on battery, the Windows machine will
> > shutdown. This works fine. However, the Linux box is also hooked up to
> > the same UPS but cannot monitor it as there is only one communications
> > port on the UPS. How can I make Windows shutdown my Linux box also
> > when battery is low? Thanks.

> If the UPS only sends a message and doesn't require anything back, you
> can wire the receive wire of the serial ports together, so that both
> computers can read it.  You can also use some file as a flag that gets
> checked frequently.

> --

> james.knott.

remote shutdown

Post by Robert Pett » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 07:50:51

Have you looked at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

-Rob

> It's a smart UPS, so I guess it does expect something back. I know of a
APC
> daemon that does this very well, but it only works with APC UPSes, and
mine
> isn't an APC. Thanks.

> Daniel

> > > Hi,
> > > I was wondering if there is a way to remotely shutdown a linux machine
> > > without actually telneting/ssh in to that machine. The scenario is a
> > > *Power UPS connected to a Windows machine which monitors the
> > > amount of battery left. When low on battery, the Windows machine will
> > > shutdown. This works fine. However, the Linux box is also hooked up to
> > > the same UPS but cannot monitor it as there is only one communications
> > > port on the UPS. How can I make Windows shutdown my Linux box also
> > > when battery is low? Thanks.

> > If the UPS only sends a message and doesn't require anything back, you
> > can wire the receive wire of the serial ports together, so that both
> > computers can read it.  You can also use some file as a flag that gets
> > checked frequently.

> > --

> > james.knott.

1. Remote Shutdown

Hi everybody!

We have many workstations in different building.  They are used by many
users but there is only one system manager (root).  In
case of emergency (power break with little notice) we will want to

a) from a single workstations, initiate a general shutdown (effective to
all remote workstations);  or

b) that the current user of the worktstation be able to initiate the
system shutdown without knowing the root password.

All those workstations are link by LAN.

Answers and/or clues will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

Russel Pearson
Defence Research Establishment Valcartier (Quebec)

2. Xfree 3.2 and DGA

3. Remote Shutdown of UNIX Systems

4. .profile won't execute automatically

5. AIX Remote Shutdown.

6. Asus Vid Drivers

7. remote shutdown messages

8. Some programs not finding devs in /dev

9. UPS and remote shutdowns

10. Remote shutdown on power failure

11. socket write(2) after remote shutdown(2) problem ?

12. Problem when remote shutdown

13. Remote Shutdown and Restart CGI for Apache NT/95