all man pages show '-' chars as '???'

Post by John Calco » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:04:21

RedHat Linux v8.0 - latest patches as of 6/10/2003

For the longest time I've put up with all my man pages mis-formatted
in such a way that all dash (-) characters show up as three successive
question marks (???). I've finally gotten an answer to this - it has
to do with my language setting - specifically the value of the LANG
variable set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n system configuration file. The
value that is applied by default in an english install is
"en_US.UTF-8". It appears that the ".UTF-8" portion is the culprit. If
I remove this portion of the value and set it to "en_US", or even just
plain "C", and then open a new terminal window, all the dash
characters show up as real dashes.

If I then go into the main menu from the KDE desktop and select
"System Settings" | "Language" (and then type my root password in the
dialog), I'm presented with a single option: "English (USA)". If I
select this option, the value of the LANG variable in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n reverts back to "en_US.UTF-8", which causes my
display problem.

Question: What is the approved fix for this problem? Clearly, the
system thinks the LANG variable should be en_US.UTF-8, but that
doesn't work for man pages.

Thanks in advance,
John Calcote
Novell, Inc.

all man pages show '-' chars as '???'

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:08:43

Quote:> RedHat Linux v8.0 - latest patches as of 6/10/2003

> For the longest time I've put up with all my man pages mis-formatted
> in such a way that all dash (-) characters show up as three successive
> question marks (???). I've finally gotten an answer to this - it has
> to do with my language setting - specifically the value of the LANG
> variable set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n system configuration file. The
> value that is applied by default in an english install is
> "en_US.UTF-8". It appears that the ".UTF-8" portion is the culprit. If
> I remove this portion of the value and set it to "en_US", or even just
> plain "C", and then open a new terminal window, all the dash
> characters show up as real dashes.

> If I then go into the main menu from the KDE desktop and select
> "System Settings" | "Language" (and then type my root password in the
> dialog), I'm presented with a single option: "English (USA)". If I
> select this option, the value of the LANG variable in
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n reverts back to "en_US.UTF-8", which causes my
> display problem.

> Question: What is the approved fix for this problem? Clearly, the
> system thinks the LANG variable should be en_US.UTF-8, but that
> doesn't work for man pages.

> Thanks in advance,
> John Calcote
> Novell, Inc.

The former LANG was set to en_US.iso885915
en_US.UTF-8 is still "English (USA)" -- its just that its UTF-8 US.
I'm not sure which selection that is in KDE, but the location is in the
/etc/sysconfig/i18n file.

ken k

all man pages show '-' chars as '???'

Post by dnoy » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:06:49

|>RedHat Linux v8.0 - latest patches as of 6/10/2003
|>
|>For the longest time I've put up with all my man pages mis-formatted
|>in such a way that all dash (-) characters show up as three successive
|>question marks (???). I've finally gotten an answer to this - it has
|>to do with my language setting - specifically the value of the LANG
|>variable set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n system configuration file. The
|>value that is applied by default in an english install is
|>"en_US.UTF-8". It appears that the ".UTF-8" portion is the culprit. If
|>I remove this portion of the value and set it to "en_US", or even just
|>plain "C", and then open a new terminal window, all the dash
|>characters show up as real dashes.
|>
|>If I then go into the main menu from the KDE desktop and select
|>"System Settings" | "Language" (and then type my root password in the
|>dialog), I'm presented with a single option: "English (USA)". If I
|>select this option, the value of the LANG variable in
|>/etc/sysconfig/i18n reverts back to "en_US.UTF-8", which causes my
|>display problem.
|>
|>Question: What is the approved fix for this problem? Clearly, the
|>system thinks the LANG variable should be en_US.UTF-8, but that
|>doesn't work for man pages.
|>
|>Thanks in advance,
|>John Calcote
|>Novell, Inc.
|

| The former LANG was set to en_US.iso885915
| en_US.UTF-8 is still "English (USA)" -- its just that its UTF-8 US.
| I'm not sure which selection that is in KDE, but the location is in the
| /etc/sysconfig/i18n file.
|
| ken k

I only have this problem when I use putty.  Then I just type
export LANG=C
and all is well.  I have this done automatically whenever I login
through ssh.

this is a RH8 issue if I am not mistaken.

- --
L8r,

C.L. Gilbert
For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."  John 10:1

1. 'info' displays hyphens in man pages as '^i' instead of '-'

When I execute the info command for topics found in man
pages (e.g. "info diald-examples") info fires up and
displays the *man-page* information. But, it displays all
hyphens ('-') for words that have been broken at the end of
a line as '^i's. This is true in text mode at the console
and under X using rxvt or xterm.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is happening and if
there is a fix? I am running Debian 2.0.

---- Ken

2. HELP: X86 setup with STB Horizon 64, please!!!

3. A minimal 'man' page for the 'ip' command

4. UN*X Factory Installed Software info sought

5. man pages for 'fread' & 'fwrite'

6. Mailserver

7. pointer of 'unsigned char' == 'char'!?

8. Doslynx ate my network!?

9. '???' replaces every '-' character in man pages

10. What's with the 'man' pages

11. man can't format new man pages - can't find DESC file

12. 'date' and 'clock' show different times

13. 'df' and 'du' show wrong sizes