new sendmail in RH9

Post by user » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:46:47

It appears that the sendmail service is required to use /bin/mail to send
local messages on a RH9 system.  Is this true?  My RH7.x systems which
don't have sendmail started work OK with /bin/mail.  Is it possible to
send/retreive local mail without sendmail for RH9?
--
user

new sendmail in RH9

Post by dnoy » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:33:04

1. New HOWTO....HOWTO-Hose-RedHat-Installation (help!)

Boy, my early experiences with ELF format and RedHat's RPM format
hasn't been positive.  I wanted to upgrade my shiny new Linux
installation (the GCC stuff), so I ran 'rpm -U' on the following rpm
packages:
gcc-2.7.2-1.i386.rpm
libc-static-5.2.18-1.i386.rpm
libc-profile-5.2.18-1.i386.rpm
libc-include-5.2.18-1.i386.rpm
libc-devel-5.2.18-1.i386.rpm
libc-5.2.18-1.i386.rpm

(In that order, I believe)

Anyway, rebooting now gives me:

/sbin/getty: can't load library libtermcap.so.2

repeatedly.  No bootup :-(

Am I doing something wrong, or am I putting entirely too much trust in
the RPM utility?

Any suggestions on how to fix?

--
     The free Ada 95 Booch Components: http://www.ocsystems.com/booch
  For those brave enough...my homepage is at http://www.dfw.net/~dweller

2. Problem running top from cron

3. installing New CPU in RH9

4. IDE out*() confusing argument names

5. replace the kernel in RH9 installation cds with a new one

6. Perl novice has problems with recursion

7. Cannot configure Sound Card, RH9, New Box

8. Need to play with TCP header -- best way

9. new sendmail want

10. .forward files no longer work with new sendmail ?

11. Sendmail won't feed input to uux -- new problem

12. Sendmail training seminar in Atlanta, Santa Clara, Anaheim, New York

13. Where is the new sendmail?