Unable to write from RH7.2 to Win98 client on a network

Unable to write from RH7.2 to Win98 client on a network

Post by Richard Crawfo » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:48:23

I have Samba on my Red Hat computer, but my wife and I have a Windows
98 computer that acts as a server.  I can read files on the Windows 98
computer just fine, but I cannot write to it.

Unable to write from RH7.2 to Win98 client on a network

Post by Richard Harmonso » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:16:32

Richard,

Are you using smbclient?  Not clear how you are reading or attempting to
write files from Linux to a service on a Windows98 box.  Please give
additional details or try this

To connect to a Samba share from a Linux system, from a shell prompt, type
the following command:
    smbclient // hostname/ sharename -U username

Replace hostname with the hostname or IP address of the Samba server you
want to connect to, sharename with the name of the shared directory you want
to browse, and username with the Samba username for the system. Enter the
correct password or press [Enter] if no password.

If you see the smb:\> prompt, success!  Type help for a list of commands. If
you wish to browse the contents of your home directory, replace userename
with your windows username. If the -U switch is not used, the username of
the current user is passed to the Samba server.

To exit smbclient, type exit at the smb:\> prompt.

You can also use Nautilus to view available Samba shares on the Gnome
desktop if you are into the GUI thing.

:)

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE

Quote:> I have Samba on my Red Hat computer, but my wife and I have a Windows
> 98 computer that acts as a server.  I can read files on the Windows 98
> computer just fine, but I cannot write to it.

Unable to write from RH7.2 to Win98 client on a network

Post by Richard Harmonso » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:20:46

My prior post shows the smbclient command with spaces after '/'.  No spaces.
Silly text editor messing with me.

    smbclient //hostname/sharename -U username

:(

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCP/NET+/RHCE

Post by Dennis K Gro » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:31:31

> I have Samba on my Red Hat computer, but my wife and I have a Windows
> 98 computer that acts as a server.  I can read files on the Windows 98
> computer just fine, but I cannot write to it.

see:
man smbmount

--
Dennis K. Grow
RedHat 7.2  Kernel: 2.4.13  KDE: 2.2-11  ALSA: 0.5.11  Samba 2.2.2

1. Cannot network Win98 and RH7.3

I am trying to connect the two computers with a crossover cable. I
have set the IP addresses, Subnet masks, and the default gateway but
still do not get a connecting when I ping them. On WIN98 I get
"Request timed out" and on the RH I get "Destination Host
Unreachable". Any help some one can give me would be much appriciated
and please don't leave out anything plain and simple that maybe I
forgot.

2. Threads library.

3. need newbie-flavoured help with RH7.1 / Win98 network

4. 2.2.3, modules, and me.

5. RH7 Client on an NT network (file sharing?)

6. opening /dev/ttyS# when not root

7. Assigning RH7 client to a particular workgroup (on NT network)?

8. makefile separator

9. Linux as PPP client for Win98 PtP Network

10. Password required in Win98 network neighborhood for linux client

11. PPTPD: Windows Clients unable to browse Network Neighborhood

12. PopTop VPN Server can see Win98 client but client can't see server

13. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast