grub and the mbr

Post by Andr » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 06:26:44

Hi,
I would like to know: does grub mess around with the master boot
record?  I have a machine dual-booting winxp and rh8.0, and i want to
remove rh8.0 [i'm going to install it on another mahcine instead due
to space issues].
Any help here much appreciated,
Andrew

grub and the mbr

Post by dan sawye » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:29:44

Yes,

It replaces the MBR with a grub 'pre-loader' that loads full
grub. Grub then reads the config info it wrote when it was
'installed'.

Dan

> Hi,
> I would like to know: does grub mess around with the master boot
> record?  I have a machine dual-booting winxp and rh8.0, and i want to
> remove rh8.0 [i'm going to install it on another mahcine instead due
> to space issues].
> Any help here much appreciated,
> Andrew

grub and the mbr

Post by Greg » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:39:20

Quote:> Hi,
> I would like to know: does grub mess around with the master boot
> record?  I have a machine dual-booting winxp and rh8.0, and i want to
> remove rh8.0 [i'm going to install it on another mahcine instead due
> to space issues].
> Any help here much appreciated,
> Andrew

Install the recovery console in xp, boot to it, type fixmbr. This will set
the mbr back to the original xp state. Boot back into XP and using disk
management, re-claim the linux partitions. No trace of it left at all.
Afterwards you can comment  out the recovery console in the boot.ini file.

Greg

---

1. Getting rid of GRUB from MBR

Hello!

I have now red Hat 7.2 with GRUB installed on my computer. Using 2 HDD, on
the first one Win ME & XP and on the second hard drive i have red Hat 7.2.
Now, i'm interested in trying out another distro (SuSE 8.0 when it is out)
I'm using Partition Magic to get rid of the linux installation but i don't
really know how i would get rid of GRUB from the MBR. Can anyone help me out
on this one, please ?????

/Tobbe

2. Ghostscript & Toshiba Printer

3. Wiping old GRUB record not located in the MBR

4. Dual Pentium & Linux

5. How do I copy Grub MBR to floppy?

6. Samba - shared dir sow as printers on NT & 98

7. grub and MBR overwritten: please help

8. CD-ROM Problems

9. Howto get GRUB back into MBR

10. How to make GRUB to install on both mbr?

11. GRUB Booting and Hard Drive MBR Troubles

12. Using standard (DOS) MBR to load GRUB

13. GRUB bootloader: howto restore MBR?