XFree86 crashing because of font 'fixed' not found

XFree86 crashing because of font 'fixed' not found

Post by Many » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:36:27

Hi all
I shutdown the system with shutdown -r now and next time when I
started, it started nicely but when it was about to open login window,
suddendenly it started flashing with some red blue colors visible on
screen. I kept the system like that for at least 15min but nothing
happened.
Finally, I have to ALT+CTRL+DEL to get to boot prompt and shutdown
properly.

Later I started in runlevel  3 and with startx command I could get the
log file from XFree86.

The last line of says that

Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

What is to done know? Should I reinstall? How to get appropriate font
files that are required by Free86?

Manya

Post by Stuffed Crus » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 22:50:27

> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

The problem is that you don't have the font server running.

(as root)
chkconfig xfs on
service xfs start

then you can start x up just fine.

Quote:> What is to done know? Should I reinstall? How to get appropriate font
> files that are required by Free86?

In the Linux world, re-installing is almost never necessary.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaAT*theusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.

XFree86 crashing because of font 'fixed' not found

Post by John Conni » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:34:41

Hi All:

Another thing you could try if keep having trouble with the font server,
xfs, is to manually put the font path (/usr/X11R6/.../fonts) in the
X86Config file. Make sure you look at the X log file in  to find out what
config file the XServer is using. I found in my case it was using the file
X86Config-4, instead of X86Config.

I did this and it seems to work so far !!! Good  Luck !!

Quote:> Hi all
> I shutdown the system with shutdown -r now and next time when I
> started, it started nicely but when it was about to open login window,
> suddendenly it started flashing with some red blue colors visible on
> screen. I kept the system like that for at least 15min but nothing
> happened.
> Finally, I have to ALT+CTRL+DEL to get to boot prompt and shutdown
> properly.

> Later I started in runlevel  3 and with startx command I could get the
> log file from XFree86.

> The last line of says that

> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

> What is to done know? Should I reinstall? How to get appropriate font
> files that are required by Free86?

> Manya

XFree86 crashing because of font 'fixed' not found

Post by Simon Horsburg » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:00:05

A friend of mine had this problem after installing Alchemist.  We traced it
to the xfs daemon not starting at boot.  So we changed to root, started xfs
using "xfs --daemon" (without the ""s) and started X again.  Worked fine,
and seemed to have no problems next time we restarted Linux.

Hope this helps,
Simon

>> Hi all
>> I shutdown the system with shutdown -r now and next time when I
>> started, it started nicely but when it was about to open login
>> window, suddendenly it started flashing with some red blue colors
>> visible on screen. I kept the system like that for at least 15min but
>> nothing happened.
>> Finally, I have to ALT+CTRL+DEL to get to boot prompt and shutdown
>> properly.

>> Later I started in runlevel  3 and with startx command I could get
>> the log file from XFree86.

>> The last line of says that

>> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

>> Fatal server error:
>> could not open default font 'fixed'

>> What is to done know? Should I reinstall? How to get appropriate font
>> files that are required by Free86?

>> Manya

XFree86 crashing because of font 'fixed' not found

Post by Richard Harmonso » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:55:19

Agreed. Most likely candidate it the xfs. Check the status as follows:
        service xfs status

If it is stopped or some other oddity, restart it.
        service xfs restart

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCSA/NET+/RHCE

Post by Brian Fristensk » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:49:16

>>Hi all
>>I shutdown the system with shutdown -r now and next time when I
>>started, it started nicely but when it was about to open login window,
>>suddendenly it started flashing with some red blue colors visible on
>>screen. I kept the system like that for at least 15min but nothing
>>happened.
>>Finally, I have to ALT+CTRL+DEL to get to boot prompt and shutdown
>>properly.

>>Later I started in runlevel  3 and with startx command I could get the
>>log file from XFree86.

>>The last line of says that

>>Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

>>Fatal server error:
>>could not open default font 'fixed'

>>What is to done know? Should I reinstall? How to get appropriate font
>>files that are required by Free86?

>>Manya

SEE BELOW:

> [...]

> 2. these fonts.dir or fonts.alias files are not readable by user xfs (!); the RH xfs startup uses user xfs.
>    "locate fonts.dir| xargs ls -l" should show all fonts.dir files world readable. I think.
> 3. The font just is not there at all -> install something like ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.1/en/os/i386/XFree86-...

> Make sure that all font directories you want to use are in your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fs/config.
> So IN PARTICULAR your /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc, of course.

> As posted by many people over the years :-) you need, in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 you
> in the section "Files" a line like:
> FontPath   "unix/:7100"

> Suggestions and corrections welcome.

> A.

> From - Mon Jan 28 17:41:15 2002

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.x
> Subject: Re: Fatal server error:  could not open default font 'fixed'. SOLUTIONS.
> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:29:08 -0600

>> > I recently got this error message after some KDE work
>> and I found a of people with apparently the same problem
>> but not the answer I needed. After a few hours of looking
>> I found the problem. Hope this helps anybody who gets this
>> frustrating problem some day.
>> > I use RedHat 7.2.
>> > Solve the fixed font problem:
>> > First: see if you HAVE the default font fixed:
>> fslsfonts -server unix/:7100
>> font "fixed" needs to appear in the list.
>> > If you get an error message running fslsfonts then xfs is not running,
>> ps -fC xfs  will confirm. If so, then use "service xfs start"
>> > If fslsfonts doesn't report a "fixed" font then either:
>> 1. the fonts.dir or fonts.alias files do not exist in (usually:) /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
>> 2. these fonts.dir or fonts.alias files are not readable by user xfs (!); the RH xfs startup uses user xfs.

> In my case the problem was that the fonts.dir file was not
> world-readable.
> That's ALL it took to keep X from working at all. Considering how
> many fonts and font directories there are, XFree86 should be a little
> more bullet proofed than that.

> The really annoying thing was that this happened as a result
> of running 'up2date' from Red Hat. It updated XFree86, but the
> apparently the file included in the RPM had the wrong permissions.
> As far as I can tell, this was the only problem, since I was
> changing fonts.dir to be world-readable.

> The only other thing I might add is that after you do that,
> you need to restart xfs (if it's running), either by rebooting or by
> typing

> /sbin/xfs restart

> Brian Fristensky                | ... now Microsoft has a new version
> Department of Plant Science     | out, Windows XP, which according to
> University of Manitoba          | everybody is the "most reliable
> Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | Windows ever". To me, this is

> Office phone:   204-474-6085    | "the most articulate vegetable ever."

1. X won't start "could not find font 'fixed'"

Hello,

I just reinstalled Solaris 8 on a new Blade 100.  When the system boots
I get an error that it can't connect to display:0, and X won't start.

When I try to run xinit at the command line I get and fatal server error
that the font 'fixed' could not be found.  All of the fontpaths appear
to be setup correctly.

Also, when I try to start xfs at the command line I get another fatal
error saying that No listening sockets established, ListenTransCount=0
errno=125.  fsadmin tells me that xfs is set to startup from inetd...

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?  I'm starting to rip my
hair out...

Thanks,

Adhamh Findlay

2. trouble logging in after adding a user

3. X crashes with "could not open font 'fixed'"

4. ld-linux.so.2

5. XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

6. sources for (sun like) spline wanted

7. Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

8. ftpserver on Windoze behind linux firewall

9. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"

10. default font 'fixed' not found

11. Yet another 'Fixed Font Not Found ' Problem???

12. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'