Sawfish won't start on Redhat 7.1

Post by Kenneth G. Lawso » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 05:50:34

Hello, I added a Plextor Cd burner to my PIII 450 box and all of a sudden Sawfish won't start??? Here's a little more: X is fine and I can switch to TWM (runs fine also). I did find it strange that kudzu didn't detect (and still doesn't) the new device. I did move around the devices on the EIDE system prior to installing the Plextor, but everything worked after that (moved pioneer DVD to primary bus as slave to HDD, and installed the Plextor as master on secondary bus, per Plextor FAQ). Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ken

1. Redhat 7.1 'eepro100' and 'e100' drivers won't see 10BaseT network

I have a Dell 1550 machine which supposedly contains an OEM Intel LAN
interface.  I installed Redhat Linux 7.1 on it.  (Actually the updated
one from www.tummy.com/krud.)  During installation the LAN interfaces
were recognized as needing eepro100 drivers.  Following Dell's
instructions, I replaced the reference to eepro100 in /etc/modules.conf
with e100 and rebooted.  But neither before or after doing the above
will the machine talk in any way with a 10BaseT hub, even though the
boot-time scripts show '[OK]' for eth0 (and eth1).

This machine is currently at a location with no 100BaseT, so I haven't
tested to see if it will do 100BaseT.

Is there any known problem with these machines related to 10BaseT?

Note that 'man eepro100' and 'man e100' turned up nothing, so it appears
that these particular device drivers are undocumented.  Nor did various
searches for e100 and eepro100 at www.redhat.com and www.dell.com turn
up anything relevant to this problem.

Nor could I find any argument to 'ifconfig' that was able to force the
LAN interface into 10BaseT mode.  I had figured that all LAN interfaces
described as 10/100 would autonegotiate, but this one apparently does
not.

Suggestions would be welcome.  Please post or email as you consider
appropriate, but not both. Thank-you.
--
Rahul

2. How to setup ESS1689 PNP Sound Card under Solaris 2.6 x86?

3. RedHat 7.1 NFS Won't Export same drives as RedHat 6.1

4. Elm permissions problem

5. iomega 4x cd-rw

6. Sawfish won't start

7. Mac owner wants to buy PC finally and run Linux

8. eth0 won't start after upgrade to RH 7.1

9. why the 'ip_masq_ftp.o' is not in the RedHat 7.1 ?

10. ppp to 'arczip' ISP on redhat 7.1

11. RedHat 7.1 Setup 'features'

12. RedHat 7.1: Getting Started Guide: Dangerous Omission