Installing 7.2

Post by Mark McArthe » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 00:47:26

Argh.  I've been unable to get started with the 7.2 install.  According to
the RedHat docs, I should be able to do a hard drive install by putting the
ISOs on the machine and pointing to it.  Whenever I try this, it claims that
the directory specified does not contain disk images.  I simply placed the
enigma*.iso files into the directory.  Is there more I need to do?
Additionally, I tried burning the images to CD, but it did not recognize the
CDs and valid install media.  I haven't changed my method for burning them
over any of the other versions that I'd installed.  Is there something
unique about 7.2?
I'm frustrated and stumped by this.  Any help would be great,
Mark

Installing 7.2

Post by Andrew Fure » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:18:16

Quote:> According to
> the RedHat docs, I should be able to do a hard drive install by putting the
> ISOs on the machine and pointing to it.  Whenever I try this, it claims that
> the directory specified does not contain disk images.

The "disk images" it's referring to here are not the ISOs, but rather
the floppy images (boot.img, pcmcia.img, etc) in the images/ directory
on the CD. If you simply copy the entire CD contents to a directory on
the disk and point to the images/ subdirectory within that, it should
work AFAIK.

Quote:> Additionally, I tried burning the images to CD, but it did not recognize the
> CDs and valid install media.  I haven't changed my method for burning them
> over any of the other versions that I'd installed.  Is there something
> unique about 7.2?

Unsure. I tried burning some 7.2 ISOs a few weeks ago, and AFAIK they
burned correctly, but the install process seemed to think the CD was
invalid. On the other hand I burned another set to different CDs several
weeks prior to that, and the install (well, upgrade) went fine. Weird...

--

Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)
and Linux experts (http://www.linuxconsultants.com.au) for instant help!

Installing 7.2

Post by Mark McArthe » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 00:18:18

Quote:> > According to
> > the RedHat docs, I should be able to do a hard drive install by putting
the
> > ISOs on the machine and pointing to it.  Whenever I try this, it claims
that
> > the directory specified does not contain disk images.

> The "disk images" it's referring to here are not the ISOs, but rather
> the floppy images (boot.img, pcmcia.img, etc) in the images/ directory
> on the CD. If you simply copy the entire CD contents to a directory on
> the disk and point to the images/ subdirectory within that, it should
> work AFAIK.

I tried both methods, pointing to the ISOs, and also pointing to an expanded
version of it.  I never could get this to work.  It continually complained
that the directory didn't exist (ie. /tmp/hdimage//mnt/ISO/).

Quote:> > Additionally, I tried burning the images to CD, but it did not recognize
the
> > CDs and valid install media.  I haven't changed my method for burning
them
> > over any of the other versions that I'd installed.  Is there something
> > unique about 7.2?

> Unsure. I tried burning some 7.2 ISOs a few weeks ago, and AFAIK they
> burned correctly, but the install process seemed to think the CD was
> invalid. On the other hand I burned another set to different CDs several
> weeks prior to that, and the install (well, upgrade) went fine. Weird...

I just tried to reburn the CDs, and this time it worked.  Odd.  I searched
the 'net and it looks like I wasn't the only one having problems though.
Good to know.
Thanks for the response,
Mark

Installing 7.2

Post by Mark McArthe » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 06:24:23

Yes, that is possible.  Although, according to RedHat, it is no longer
necessary to expand the ISO to a directory.  You simply have to place the
ISO into a directory, and point the install to it.  It would be nice if it
had worked.
For future reference, you can mount an ISO with the following command:

mount -r -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/ISO/blah.iso /mnt/ISO

When you change to the /mnt/ISO directory, you will see the contents of the
file as if it were a mounted CD.  It's a great time saver if you don't feel
like writing the ISO to a CD.

Thanks for the reply,
Mark

Quote:>   I seem to remember when I read that info that there was a utility
> you had to run to "mount" the image files as a volume.

1. problem with cylinders installing 7.2

i'm installing RH 7.2 to dual boot with Win98. I created a new
partition at cylinder 1012; my Win partition has about 7.9 gigs, my
linux partition about 5. yet when i get to disk druid or fdisk, i get
the message,

"The partition table on /tmp/hda is inconsistent [...] detected the
BIOS geometry incorrectly.  However, this does not appear to be the
case
here[...]safe to ignore[...]may cause (fixable) problems with some
boot
loaders [...]".

when using fdisk, the first thing it tells me is that my partition is
1664 cylinders. What? I installed RH 6 before (and have since deleted
it) and placed the partition in about the same location (just below
1024) and didn't have this problem. What's strange is that the
language of this message implies that it's the SIZE of the partition
that matters ("this partition is 1664 cylinders. there's nothing wrong
with that, but it's greater than 1024..."), instead of its starting
point, which I thought was critical for the boot partition. Either
way, neither the starting point nor the total size of this partition
are anywhere near 1664. Any suggestions?

you can reply by email at msb13 at duke dot edu.

thank you very much,
matt

2. How do I get rid of Linux

3. Installing 7.2 on MSI 815e Pro

4. console 128+27 character

5. Error while installing 7.2 on barebones system

6. interacting with linuxrc

7. Problems installing 7.2

8. C shell

9. Un Install Redhat 7.2 and back to Windows Install ?????

10. configuring gcc-2.7.2.x on redhat 7.2

11. RedHat 7.2 on THinkPad 7.2

12. RH 7.2 install fails at cdrom

13. can't install linux 7.2..help please