RH7.0 installed, Telnet & Ftp does not work

RH7.0 installed, Telnet & Ftp does not work

Post by Eric » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:39:02

As you can tell, I am new to Linux.  I replaced my installation of RH6.1
with RH7.0.  Now I can not telnet or ftp to this box.  I followed the poorly
documented instruction on RH web site on how to activate telnet but it did
not help.

Regardless of how I feel about this problem, I am hoping some one must have
solved this mystery before me and with a lesser degree of frustration.

Finally the question is:  what do I do next?

Eric

Post by Richard Harmonso » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:40:25

> As you can tell, I am new to Linux.  I replaced my installation of RH6.1
> with RH7.0.  Now I can not telnet or ftp to this box.  I followed the
> poorly documented instruction on RH web site on how to activate telnet but
> it did not help.

> Regardless of how I feel about this problem, I am hoping some one must
> have solved this mystery before me and with a lesser degree of
> frustration.

> Finally the question is:  what do I do next?

> Eric

I have seen a half dozen of these over the last few weeks.  Why?  With Red
Hat 7.1 they have supplied a really nice feature, a firewall. Red Hat may
want to state during installation that telnet and other services are
blocked by default.

As root, run /sbin/lokkit and select customize.  Enable the features you
need; dhcp, ssh, telnet, http, smtp, and ftp.
--
Richard Harmonson
Red Hat Certified Engineer

RH7.0 installed, Telnet & Ftp does not work

Post by Stan Horspoo » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:20:48

Is there anything similar for RH 6.2? After upgrading from 5.2 I can't do ftp.
Actually, when I run ftp, I can see the ftpd handling the call on the Linux
side, but it always says user/password are invalid on the client side. I got ssh
and telnet working tho'.

Stan

Post by Richard Harmonso » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:08:36

> Is there anything similar for RH 6.2? After upgrading from 5.2 I can't do
> ftp. Actually, when I run ftp, I can see the ftpd handling the call on the
> Linux side, but it always says user/password are invalid on the client
> side. I got ssh and telnet working tho'.

> Stan

>> > As you can tell, I am new to Linux.  I replaced my installation of
>> > RH6.1
>> > with RH7.0.  Now I can not telnet or ftp to this box.  I followed the
>> > poorly documented instruction on RH web site on how to activate telnet
>> > but it did not help.

>> > Regardless of how I feel about this problem, I am hoping some one must
>> > have solved this mystery before me and with a lesser degree of
>> > frustration.

>> > Finally the question is:  what do I do next?

>> > Eric

>> I have seen a half dozen of these over the last few weeks.  Why?  With
>> Red Hat 7.1 they have supplied a really nice feature, a firewall. Red Hat
>> may want to state during installation that telnet and other services are
>> blocked by default.

>> As root, run /sbin/lokkit and select customize.  Enable the features you
>> need; dhcp, ssh, telnet, http, smtp, and ftp.
>> --
>> Richard Harmonson
>> Red Hat Certified Engineer
>> Kinetotech Consulting

No, lokkit first shipped with Red Hat 7.1.  I may be mistaken, but I rather
doubt it.
--
Richard Harmonson
Red Hat Certified Engineer

RH7.0 installed, Telnet & Ftp does not work

Post by David Spic » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 05:48:01

Mr. Harmonson--

You are a genius!  Lokkit?  Didn't know anything about this.  I
installed two different FTP daemons, neither one would work.  I have
fought this for 2 days now.  Nowhere have I seen anything about this.
A little known secret?  Thank you so much for the info.....

> As you can tell, I am new to Linux.  I replaced my installation of RH6.1
> with RH7.0.  Now I can not telnet or ftp to this box.  I followed the poorly
> documented instruction on RH web site on how to activate telnet but it did
> not help.

> Regardless of how I feel about this problem, I am hoping some one must have
> solved this mystery before me and with a lesser degree of frustration.

> Finally the question is:  what do I do next?

> Eric

1. RH7 Box - FTP & Telnet Not Listening?

I have a small network of 2 W98 boxes and a RH7 box. I'm having trouble
getting
the RH7 box to answer a FTP or Telnet from the W98 box. I can ping both
ways OK. However...when I did a "netstat -vat" command on the RH7 box I
noticed that it listed 587,smtp,printer,auth,1024,sunrpc in the list as
"listen"...but NO FTP or Telnet process as listening. I assume that they
SHOULD be listening on their appropriate ports. What file/files
determine what services are started up?  Help!

Jim M.

2. Samba and paranoia

3. RH7.1 : FTP & Telnet Daemon not running

4. SB16 CD-ROM Mounting

5. Telnet/ftp not working after RH 6.0 install

6. remote shell on a NIS client (Solaris 2.5 x86)

7. FTP and telnet not working or VERY slow on new install -NEWBIE

8. Where can I find ZMODEM binaries

9. I installed Linux... ftp and mail OK but Telnet does not work!!

10. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

11. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

12. telnet into on RH7.1 system is not working!

13. RH7.3 & RH7.1 install exits abnormally