Anyone using "any" wireless adapters (USB, PCI) in Redhat 8 ?

Anyone using "any" wireless adapters (USB, PCI) in Redhat 8 ?

Post by Doug » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 05:33:53

Hey all,

I recently installed Redhat 8 on my Shuttle ss40 (micro) computer.
Everything looks good with the exception of the Linksys PCI wireless
card I have in that system. I did a little research and that card is
based on a common chipset (forgot the name, sorry). I am going to return
that card for the Linksys USB Wireless Ethernet (802.11b) adapter since
I would rather have a portable solution. Anyone using the Linksys USB
wireless cards in Redhat 8 and if so what hoops did you have to jump
through to get it to work ? Details please. Oh and is there any support
in using these cards with pass phrase encryption (56bit 0r 128bit) ?

Thanks.

Doug

Post by John » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:41:45

> Hey all,

> I recently installed Redhat 8 on my Shuttle ss40 (micro) computer.
> Everything looks good with the exception of the Linksys PCI wireless
> card I have in that system. I did a little research and that card is
> based on a common chipset (forgot the name, sorry). I am going to return
> that card for the Linksys USB Wireless Ethernet (802.11b) adapter since
> I would rather have a portable solution. Anyone using the Linksys USB
> wireless cards in Redhat 8 and if so what hoops did you have to jump
> through to get it to work ? Details please. Oh and is there any support
> in using these cards with pass phrase encryption (56bit 0r 128bit) ?

> Thanks.

> Doug

I'm using the SMC 2662W USB Wireless, it uses the same chipset as the
Linksys WUSB11, it is the Atmel chipset.

I have the Atmel GPL drivers working, but I have yet to get it to
connect to my access point. Try: http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/

I know that Linksys does provide binary drivers, I don't know about
their quality.

--

John