Lilo Problem

Post by News » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 21:26:00

I've tried to install Red Hat 6.1 and 6.2 to an avail.  The installation
process goes fine but lilo doesn't get installed right.  All I get on boot
up is an infinite loop of 1 and 0 across the screen.  I think it has
something to do with the dos partition because I can boot from a floppy
directly to the linux partition.  When I tried to put the dos boot
information on the floppy by using LILO I got the same result as above.

Thanks
Tom

Lilo Problem

Post by Roy » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:16:56

> I've tried to install Red Hat 6.1 and 6.2 to an avail.  The installation
> process goes fine but lilo doesn't get installed right.  All I get on boot
> up is an infinite loop of 1 and 0 across the screen.  I think it has
> something to do with the dos partition because I can boot from a floppy
> directly to the linux partition.  When I tried to put the dos boot
> information on the floppy by using LILO I got the same result as above.

> Thanks
> Tom

Not certain (I'm probably rated as a 'semi-newbie' myself), but I would
suspect you've encountered the 1024 cylinder limit issue.  Some recent
versions of lilo allow you to put the statement
lba32
on a line in the master (top) section.  This seems to allow things to
operate better.
What I have to do is let install (I'm running 7.0 which may make a
difference) run and create a floppy, then boot the floppy, put the 'lba32'
in /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo again.  From that point on I can boot
ok from the hard disk.

Take all this with a healthy skepticism as I am, once again, nearly a
newbie myself.

Roy

1. LILO Problems, Loadlin Problems .....

This is my second post on this problem, I hope someone
can help.  If not at least point me to a good source of info.

System is a 200 Mhz Cyrix 696 with 32 MB ram.
Primary IDE drive 4.3 GB divided into two dos partitions.
Scsi #1 drive 1 GB in a dos partition
Scsi #2 drive 2 GB running Slackware Linux on three partitions.
Adaptec 1542 ISA Scsi controller.
Trident 9685 PCI video.

Formerly the system had a 486 MB with 16 MB ram.
Same hard drive setup.  With 486 setup I could use
Loadlin to get into Linux no problem.  when I switched
the MB to a 686 I could still run Loadlin and boot Linux.
I didn't have a problem until I installed the Trident PCI
video card 9685  2 MB VRAM.  I had been using an
old ISA Trident 8900 card  1 MB VRAM until my new
one arrived.   Now when I run Loadlin I get "not an
image file" when it tries to load vmlinuz.  It is really
hard to believe that the video card could cause this
problem.  I guess I will have to swap video cards again
 just to check this.
So I tried LILO.  LILO just gives me 10101010 etc
when I try to boot.  I have read the LILO man page and
messages here about the linear option and entering the
geometry of the  drives but I still can't get it to work.
I can boot Linux up fine from a boot floppy but I would
rather use either LILO or Loadlin.  If anyone has any
ideas or suggestions please share them with me!

I've been running Linux since kernel version 0.9x but I
never had a problem with LILO or Loadlin so I never
learned much about them.

Thanks to all,
John O'Brien

2. --> Can't quite figure out getopts <--

3. Another lilo problem (or W95 problem)

4. Top 10 subjects comp.unix.shell

5. LILO problem with large IDE disk

6. Strange PPP message

7. LILO Problems

8. Initial support for struct vfs_cred [1/1]

9. LILO Problems - HELP!

10. Boot (LILO) Problem

11. Installing LILO: Problem

12. lilo problems on RedHat 6.1