replacement for hyperterminal?

Post by Jonathan Hor » Wed, 15 May 2002 01:15:44

can someone recommend a linux application that is a suitable
replacement for windows hyperterminal?  i need to use a serial cable
to connect to a switch, and hyperterminal was what i used to use
before my switch to linux.

thanks!
jonathan horne

Post by James Knot » Wed, 15 May 2002 01:35:24

> can someone recommend a linux application that is a suitable
> replacement for windows hyperterminal?  i need to use a serial cable
> to connect to a switch, and hyperterminal was what i used to use
> before my switch to linux.

Minicom.  It's a simple terminal program, that supports macros etc.

--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.

james.knott.

1. finding a replacement for "Hyperterminal"

At a beginning ISP where I work, I use win95 and software for the platform
to communicate with a Cisco 2514 router.  The "console" links the router
to the second serial port (COM2) of the win95 box (mouse is COM1).  I talk
to the port COM2 directly via Hyperterminal.

What I want to do is boot the dual booting PC into linux (RH 5.0 already
installed) and talk to the port (/dev/cua1?) with an equivalent program to
Hyperterminal for windows.  Any ideas?

Jeff D'Angelo
| Penn State Computer Engineering Sophomore,                    |
| PSU-CAC lab Rover,                                            |
| Webteam member for PSU Allies,                                |
| PSU Silver Circle Treasurer,                                  |
| Webmaster for PSU Student Activity Server,                    |
| Enterprise Networks Inc. Network Engineer                     |

2. Cracks for Linux?

3. hyperterminal for linux

4. alias checkbox not surviving logout

5. hyperterminal and the console

6. Finding out whether WinPopup is running on a remote computer

7. use PC hyperterminal setup 3310 disk array IP address

8. arch-sparc64

9. Howto do Stop-a on E30000 vi WinNT Hyperterminal

10. Linux version of Hyperterminal?

11. Send Top-A by hyperterminal

12. equivalent of hyperterminal

13. Sparc 10 hyperterminal connection