7.2 - KDE , samba

Post by Your na » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:50:34

How can i totally uninstall the KDE? In what order should I reinstall
the KDE packages? our desktop has become so slow (5 minutes to show
desktop menu) as to become useless. So I figure a plain uninstall -
reintstall is in order.

Also, how can we stop the smbd messages of :
smb_retry: successful, new pid=14364, generation=70
 and the like from showing up in our logs?

thanks.

1. samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

Hi all.  I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box.  Details:

networking setup is peer-to-peer

workstation:  Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9

remote:  laptop running windowsMe 8-<

Printer:  HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake

Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers

Samba runs on boot

When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers".  I cannot print to this printer.

However, when I restart samba, what do I see?  I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers".  If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers)  I can now print to my hearts delight.

BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot.  The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".

Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

(yes the cups driver line is commented out)

let me know what you think.

--karl

2. Bug in Netscape statistics program

3. Samba on Suse 7.2

4. hylafax

5. Problem with samba printer in Mandrake 7.2

6. Where can I get parts?

7. RedHat 7.2 (Samba) Compaq DL380 vs IBM xSeries x200 vs Clone

8. In-kernel module loader 3/7

9. Settin up Samba on Mandrake 7.2

10. RadHat 7.2: samba problem

11. Mandrake 7.2, CUPS and Samba