newbie question -- adding 2nd (identical) ethernet card

newbie question -- adding 2nd (identical) ethernet card

Post by Kent Eiler » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 05:08:45

I have 2 identical ethernet cards...and have had one of them installed in my
linux pc for awhile and it works fine connecting to my cable ISP.

When i add the 2nd ethernet card and configure it with a static IP address
it activates ok (using neat).  But the original card (eth0) becomes
unavailable.

I have PnP turned off in the bios..
Both cards are referencing the same "module"...
Both PCI slots work..
I"m using the "neat" GUI interface to configure both cards..
Using version 8.0 of RedHat Linux..

what am i missing here?

any help much appreciated.

1. How to add 2nd ethernet card

Hello out there,

I tried to install the second ethernet card on my Linux box,
This was done by added one line on file "/etc/lilo.conf" likes:

apped="ether=0x300,5,eth0  ether=0x340,9,eth1"

Unfortunately, the second ethernet card still can't work.
The system always complained with:
--------------
Oct 17 15:29:07 babylon network: Bringing up interface eth0 succeeded
Oct 17 15:29:07 babylon modprobe: can't locate module eth1
Oct 17 15:29:07 babylon ifup: Delaying eth1 initialization.
Oct 17 15:29:07 babylon network: Bringing up interface eth1 failed
---------------

I appreciated if someone can light me a way.
P. S. The Linux box is installed with kernel 2.2.5-15CLE and Dlink DE-220
ethernet card.

Regards,
WJ

2. NI6510 (Racal Interlan) TROUBLE...

3. How to add 2nd ethernet card?

4. $DISPLAY on remote host

5. How to add 2nd ethernet card to Solaris 8?

6. this thing abt libraries

7. Adding 2nd ethernet card problems

8. US Robotics Courier Modem Problem

9. adding 2nd ethernet card

10. Problem Setting Up 2 Identical ISA Ethernet Cards on Same Module

11. 2 identical ethernet cards in the same box

12. Problem Setting Up 2 Identical ISA Ethernet Cards on Same Module