REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

Post by miah » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:09:55

Have read that this entails recompiling the kernel, but would like to
know exactly what config in the kernel I am looking for before I start
messing with things.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Post by DukeLet » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:25:39

> Have read that this entails recompiling the kernel, but would like to
> know exactly what config in the kernel I am looking for before I start
> messing with things.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Mmm, support for NTFS maybe? ;-)

---
DukeLeto

REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

Post by Natma » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:10:04

Quote:> Have read that this entails recompiling the kernel, but would like to
> know exactly what config in the kernel I am looking for before I start
> messing with things.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanx

(you might already know some of this, but I'll state the whole process)
everything with 'blah' means some version number.

After you have the kernel sources, copy /boot/config-blah to
/usr/src/linux-blah/.config
then run 'make menuconfig'.  Look under filesystems, then type 'm' at NTFS
(do not try
write support).  Once done, use tab to cycle to the exit button.  At the
prompt, run
'make dep', then 'make bzImage', then 'make modules', then 'make
modules_install'.
(my personal preference is to do 'make dep bzImage modules modules_install'
all on
one line, and it seems to work just as good).  Once done, copy
arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-blah.  Update your boot
loader (as in, add a new entry and keep the old one as a fall-back).  And
you're good
to go.

Natman

REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

Post by Preston Le » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 18:40:03

<snip>
>Look under filesystems, then type 'm' at NTFS
> (do not try
> write support).

<snip>

Just out of curiosity...is the write support really that bad? I've been
temped to try this on my Win/Lin dual-boot machine but I don't want to*
up Windows (at least in this case <insert joke here>).

Post by Joshua Bear » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:54:05

> <snip>
>>Look under filesystems, then type 'm' at NTFS
>> (do not try
>> write support).
> <snip>

> Just out of curiosity...is the write support really that bad? I've been
> temped to try this on my Win/Lin dual-boot machine but I don't want to
>*up Windows (at least in this case <insert joke here>).

A lot of people seem to think so, and there is danger involved.  In my
personal experience, I've never had problems with it, but that doesn't mean
you won't.
--

REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

Post by s » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:11:00

Tried the write support on my dual boot of RH and Win2k. It worked,
untill i rebooted and found that I was locked out of those files.
Resetting the permissions in windows was for the birds, i ended locking
myself out of all the files. From what I have read and heard it is
basicly luck if you dont*something up. Who knows.

> <snip>

>>Look under filesystems, then type 'm' at NTFS
>>(do not try
>>write support).

> <snip>

> Just out of curiosity...is the write support really that bad? I've been
> temped to try this on my Win/Lin dual-boot machine but I don't want to*
> up Windows (at least in this case <insert joke here>).

1. X Won't Start on Red Hat 7.3/Win2k Dual-boot System

I had win2k (professional, not server) on my harddrive; partitioned
and added Red Hat 7.3.

When Red Hat booted, it had a strange but familiar hostname. Then I
realized it was the same random "hostname" that win2k had assigned
itself when I installed it.

I could not get the hostname to change to save my life. I'm not a
complete newbie and I do know my way around a linux system just a bit.

I also could not get X to start at all. I've had Red Hat 7, 7.1, and
7.2 on this machine (before win2k). They all chose the same setup for
X and I never had any problems in that respect.

RH 7.3 also chose the same config for X, but X just wouldn't start.
The only difference is the win2k thing. The iso's checked good and I
burned the disks three times. I never had a problem burning disks
before, but it just won't run X.

So I cleared the linux partition and tried to install 7.2, which I
knew to be good. And I got the exact same results as the 7.3 install.

The problem has to be with the win2k.

How can I sort this out without removing win2k?

David

2. Changing Mouse Cursor Speed

3. REQ:Error installing Opera 6.11 RPM System RH 7.3

4. LILO version 22.4.1 issued

5. Need help making dual boot RH 7.3/RH 8.0 drive

6. LibXpm problems?

7. Dual Boot Red hat Linux 8.0 with Windows xp with NTFS file system

8. missing sysrq AND incorrect kernel version in System.map

9. Installing Core Linux on Win98/Win2k dual boot system - help please !!!

10. Can File System Partitioning be done without reinstall in RH 7.3?

11. Using Bootpart 2.5 RH Newbie (win2k+RH 7.3 on Dell Laptop )

12. Grub not working on Win2k/RedHat 7.3 system

13. Dual-boot - accessing Linux file-system from DOS partition?