GrUB Hangs after new kernel installed

Post by Ron Schout » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:42:03

I'm new to Linux and run a Windows 2000 / Redhat Linux 8.0 dual boot.
Recently I ran the up2date program, installed a new kernel, and now I
cannot boot through GrUB anymore. I can boot into Windows without a
problem and can boot into Redhat using a boot floppy; however, trying
to boot into Redhat via GrUB does nothing and results in the output
"GRUB" followed by a flashing cursor.

Checking the grub.conf file reveals 5 OS entries: 4 Linux and 1
Windows. Can anyone suggest a remedy? Should I reinstall GrUB? If so,
how?

Thanks,

Post by Davi » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:37:02

> I'm new to Linux and run a Windows 2000 / Redhat Linux 8.0 dual boot.
> Recently I ran the up2date program, installed a new kernel, and now I
> cannot boot through GrUB anymore. I can boot into Windows without a
> problem and can boot into Redhat using a boot floppy; however, trying
> to boot into Redhat via GrUB does nothing and results in the output
> "GRUB" followed by a flashing cursor.

> Checking the grub.conf file reveals 5 OS entries: 4 Linux and 1
> Windows. Can anyone suggest a remedy? Should I reinstall GrUB? If so,
> how?

Does grub.conf have the new kernel in it?
Does your system require an "initrd.img" to boot?

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0-beta Linux 2.4.20tbls i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Post by Timothy Murph » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:29:23

> Recently I ran the up2date program, installed a new kernel, and now I
> cannot boot through GrUB anymore. I can boot into Windows without a
> problem and can boot into Redhat using a boot floppy; however, trying
> to boot into Redhat via GrUB does nothing and results in the output
> "GRUB" followed by a flashing cursor.

> Checking the grub.conf file reveals 5 OS entries: 4 Linux and 1
> Windows. Can anyone suggest a remedy? Should I reinstall GrUB? If so,
> how?

You don't need to reinstall grub.
The fault is RedHat's, not yours or grub's.
They have failed to upgrade the file /boot/grub/grub.conf .
Go over this carefully,
and make sure the entries correspond
to kernels in /boot .
Delete any that don't.
Then it should work.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

GrUB Hangs after new kernel installed

Post by Ron Schout » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:12:43

Quote:> Does grub.conf have the new kernel in it?

Yes, the most recent kernel I installed is 2.4.18-24.8.0 and can be
found as the top entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf. I beleive the kernel
installed correctly since /lib/module/2.4.18-24.8.0/ exists.

Quote:> Does your system require an "initrd.img" to boot?

I'm not sure. In order to configure redhat to boot without a floppy I
followed the instructions found here:
http://coewww.rutgers.edu/linux/dualboot.php

How would I know if it requires an "initrd.img" to boot?

Cheers,

GrUB Hangs after new kernel installed

Post by Ron Schout » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:33:23

Quote:> You don't need to reinstall grub.
> The fault is RedHat's, not yours or grub's.
> They have failed to upgrade the file /boot/grub/grub.conf .
> Go over this carefully,
> and make sure the entries correspond
> to kernels in /boot .
> Delete any that don't.
> Then it should work.

Within /boot/ I found 4 sets of 6 file types corresponding to the 4
kernels. All were named correctly. I reviewed the grub.conf file and
it contained the 4 Linux kernel entries and all were named correclty.
I have included the grub.conf file for additional clues:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd1,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hdb1
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-24.8.0)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-24.8.0.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-19.8.0)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-19.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-19.8.0.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-18.8.0)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-18.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-18.8.0.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
title Windows 2000
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Post by Timothy Murph » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:18:43

> Within /boot/ I found 4 sets of 6 file types corresponding to the 4
> kernels. All were named correctly. I reviewed the grub.conf file and
> it contained the 4 Linux kernel entries and all were named correclty.
> I have included the grub.conf file for additional clues:

This LABEL stuff can get confused.
I think it is a ghastly mistake on RedHat's part to use it.

I would try just giving the actual device name, eg
root=/dev/hda2 (or whatever) in place of the LABELs.
"cat /etc/mtab" will tell you what the device with / on it is,
if you don't know.

Quote:> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-24.8.0)
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
> initrd /initrd-2.4.18-24.8.0.img

Also possibly worth noting that you can go into grub "interactively"
if you get the to the grub choice screen;
the instructions are at the bottom of the screen, IIRC.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

GrUB Hangs after new kernel installed

Post by Ron Schout » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:19:44

Quote:> I would try just giving the actual device name, eg
> root=/dev/hda2 (or whatever) in place of the LABELs.
> "cat /etc/mtab" will tell you what the device with / on it is,
> if you don't know.

Sorry, but I am very much a Linux Newbie. I ran "cat /etc/mtab" and
this was the output:

/dev/hdb2 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/windows vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0

Does this mean my device name is, "root=/dev/hdb2"? Should I replace
the last bit of the following line, "kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.8.0 ro
root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi" with this?

Quote:

> > default=0
> > timeout=10
> > splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-24.8.0)
> > root (hd1,0)
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.8.0 ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi
> > initrd /initrd-2.4.18-24.8.0.img

> Also possibly worth noting that you can go into grub "interactively"
> if you get the to the grub choice screen;
> the instructions are at the bottom of the screen, IIRC.

Unfortunately I don't even get this far :(

Post by Timothy Murph » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:10:24

>> I would try just giving the actual device name, eg
>> root=/dev/hda2 (or whatever) in place of the LABELs.
>> "cat /etc/mtab" will tell you what the device with / on it is,
>> if you don't know.

> Sorry, but I am very much a Linux Newbie. I ran "cat /etc/mtab" and
> this was the output:

> /dev/hdb2 / ext3 rw 0 0
> none /proc proc rw 0 0
> usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
> /dev/hdb1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /mnt/windows vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0

> Does this mean my device name is, "root=/dev/hdb2"? Should I replace
> the last bit of the following line, "kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.8.0 ro
> root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi" with this?

Yes, I would replace that line with
"kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.8.0 ro root=/dev/hdb2"

Quote:>> Also possibly worth noting that you can go into grub "interactively"
>> if you get the to the grub choice screen;
>> the instructions are at the bottom of the screen, IIRC.

> Unfortunately I don't even get this far :(

Sorry, that is much worse!
I didn't realise you don't even get the grub screen.
In that case my remarks are irrelevant (though true).

I would try saying "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda" (as root).

Ps I don't set up as a great expert,
so if someone else gives different advice you should probably follow them!

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-86-233 6090

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. Building a new kernel, my system go asleep !!

3. Applying latest Recommended/Security patches installs grub, but "Solaris failsafe" grub option is missing.

4. Adaptec AIC 7770 boot imageneeded

5. How to put new build kernel into Grub

6. Printer 'Stair-Step' - help ?

7. booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

8. Web server

9. New Kernel and Grub problem

10. GRUB: adding a new kernel boot entry

11. How to boot new Kernel with Grub -deleted the old files in /boot directory

12. first attempt to compile a new kernel and editing GRUB

13. new kernel & grub