RedHat 8.0: Intellimouse, X-Server problems

RedHat 8.0: Intellimouse, X-Server problems

Post by Tren » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:25:22

Hello.  After spending years complainining about MS, I finally decided
to take the plunge and transition to Linux.  However, I'm having a
problem....

I have a Dell system with 2 hard drives.  WinXP is on my "C" (aka hda)
and Red Hat 8.0 is on my "D" (aka hdb).  The problem is that my
Microsoft Intellimouse does not work in Linux.

Sometimes the mouse does work fine.  Other times I flat out can't boot
Linux and I get a text-based error saying, 'Cannot start X-Server'
(even this text-error looks garbled).  USUALLY what happens is I can
load into the Linux GUI (Gnome), but the mouse cursor is always jumpy
and stuck to the stop edge of the screen.

I read an old message on usenet that said something like, "Go to
XF86Config and change the Protocol line to read Intellimouse"  Would
this solve my problem?  I'm going to try it once I figure out how to
use the text-editors with just a keyboard (I managed to open that
file, but it was in read-only mode).

Some info: this is Red Hat 8.0 straight out of the box.  My graphics
card is a NVidia Geforce 4 generic.  The mouse is PS2 (which is what I
told Linux during the install).  Also, I did the GUI install and the
mouse worked fine.  The mouse works fine in WinXp.  I boot using Grub
to choose my OS'es.

Any help appreciated.  I had fun with this OS for the brief time it
was working and look forward to spending more time with it!

Post by Tren » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:49:26

>Hello.  After spending years complainining about MS, I finally decided
>to take the plunge and transition to Linux.  However, I'm having a
>problem....

>I have a Dell system with 2 hard drives.  WinXP is on my "C" (aka hda)
>and Red Hat 8.0 is on my "D" (aka hdb).  The problem is that my
>Microsoft Intellimouse does not work in Linux.

>Sometimes the mouse does work fine.  Other times I flat out can't boot
>Linux and I get a text-based error saying, 'Cannot start X-Server'
>(even this text-error looks garbled).  USUALLY what happens is I can
>load into the Linux GUI (Gnome), but the mouse cursor is always jumpy
>and stuck to the stop edge of the screen.

>I read an old message on usenet that said something like, "Go to
>XF86Config and change the Protocol line to read Intellimouse"  Would
>this solve my problem?  I'm going to try it once I figure out how to
>use the text-editors with just a keyboard (I managed to open that
>file, but it was in read-only mode).

>Some info: this is Red Hat 8.0 straight out of the box.  My graphics
>card is a NVidia Geforce 4 generic.  The mouse is PS2 (which is what I
>told Linux during the install).  Also, I did the GUI install and the
>mouse worked fine.  The mouse works fine in WinXp.  I boot using Grub
>to choose my OS'es.

>Any help appreciated.  I had fun with this OS for the brief time it
>was working and look forward to spending more time with it!

I reinstalled Red Hat 8.0 and the problem seems to have gone away.

1. Fonts in X-Server and Intellimouse problem.

Hi folks,

I have Gateway2000 EV500 15 inch monitor with STB Velocity 128 (RIVA128)
video card and Microsoft Intelllisoft mouse.

1. The first  time I installed, I got nice fonts working for me. Then I
had to install Linux again. This time I am not getting good fonts. I
configured using 'xf86config'. Does changing the resolution help ?

2. My Intellimouse pointer is not following the mouse !! It just shows
the end points meaning that it doesn't follow as I move the mouse.
It shows up at a new location only if I stop my mouse.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks,
Karunakar.

2. Serial (Modem) login every other time?

3. 3-Bttns with Ps/2 Intellimouse under Xi-Graphics X-server??

4. Graph CPU usage of OpenBSD part 2

5. RedHat LINUX4.1 X-SERVER PROBLEM

6. NCSA httpd 1.4 faster than Netsite? True or false?

7. NFS Problems (Mac OS X client and RedHat 8.0 server)

8. telnet/ftp behind Linksys router?

9. DNS Problems on RedHat 8.0: Linux client, Windows DHCP server

10. NFS Problems (Mac OS X client and RedHat 8.0 server)

11. Best commercial X-server Redhat 6.0

12. Kangaroo-mouse under Redhat 6.0 X-server

13. different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??