755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?

Post by NoWhereMa » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:35:46

755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?
[on a 7.1 box upgraded to fully patched 7.2]
I expected it to be enough to chmod 755
the public_html subdir to use Apache
mod_usedir.  I'm finding that I also have to
chmod 755 the /home/userdir as well.
Is there another way and if not, can
/etc/defaults/useradd.conf  be set to
make the userdir 755 when the acct
is created?
This box is dedicated to a web design
class where I have to provide some
upload access.  I'm using proftpd to
chroot users into their home dirs.  I
would like to get setting up web upload
access on this box to a single step.
---end---

1. Apache: userdirs require 755 rights?

Hello All,

I am trying to get Apache set up on my home Linux Box. I have come to
something that seems odd, and need help in determing where to look for
my problem.

In order for the ~username directories to be "viewable" I have had to
set the rights to the /home/user and /home/user/public_html
directories to 755.

Is this "normal"?  I would prefer to be able to set the rights to 744
or something like that. (My ISP has the user directories set to 700).

I do not want the "users" to be able to exec scripts, etc. except from
the .../httpd/cgi-bin/ directory. So there should not be any
executable files in the users' directories.
What "Options" in the <Directory /home/*/public_html>... </Diectory>
sequence should I be setting for a "plain-vanilla" setup? Currently my
options are "Indexes" only (I think that is the syntax - off the top
of ym head from work).

Thanks in advance,

-tomas (trying to shed my NEWBIE tag)
Tomas Vera

2. How much memory do I need

3. UserDir public_html. error 403 Permission denied

4. XConfig for Speedstar + NEC 4D?

5. ACK! UserDir public_html doesnt work!

6. Why PPP connection only partially successful?

7. UserDir public_html problems

8. How to extract only one file from a tar archive?

9. UserDir Directive

10. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

11. VirtualHost UserDir in apache 0.8.13?

12. setting UserDir for Virtual Hosts?

13. userdir working fine but need to allow users to run scripts