RH7 UpdateAgent - broken irreparibly?

Post by Earl Lewi » Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:42:05

Yesterday I finally discovered the Help file for RedHat Update Agent,
buried in the YourNetwork of the RedHat website. I'd strictly been
going by-guess-&-by-gosh before then. I printed out copious
instructions and sat down last night to play with it. I would download
a "screen" of updates (how many fit in the update window without
scrolling down), let UpdateAgent download and install them, then run
up2date -p to synchronize my account on the Redhat site with what
existed on my machine.

Did I know what I was doing, which updates I needed? Are you kidding?
Hell no, I'm just playing at being a Unix sysadmin (hey, look at me! I
too can be a geek and make 60 grand a year with this arcane shit).

All went well for 2 "screens" full of updates. The 3rd screenful, I
think, consisted of the following stuff (yeah, I was just smart enough
to TRY and keep track of which updates I was messin with):

Gnorpm,
gnupg,
iputils,
krb5-devel,
krb5-libs,
libstdc++,
libstdc++-devel,
modutils,
rpm-4.0.2-7x,
rpm-build,
rpm-dev.

I took 'screenshots' as I went along to document this, but I'm not
sure the resulting .jpgs numbered themselves in alpha order as I
thought they were doing.

After the last screen, when I did my up2date -p, it gave me a ration
of s**t and refused to work. Nothing in UpdateAgent works any longer,
the registration entity, configuration entity or the Agent itself.

I suspect the boo-boo has something to do with those 3 rpm updates,
but I really don't know. If anyone has any desire or expertise to help
I could go back (I'm in Win98) and get the blurb that up2date -p
brings up. But I suspect I'm ready for another re-install of RH7.
Problem is, of course, that if I don't know what I did wrong I'm fated
to repeat my mistake again. Any answers?
Earl

RH7 UpdateAgent - broken irreparibly?

Post by Bill Browe » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:51:00

All your rpm-rpm's have to have the same release number. You don't
mention the rpm-python rpm, so you may need to get that from the redhat
ftp site. I think the latest is 4.0.4. Make sure they're all the same
release!

Bill Brower