sndconfig?

Post by Michael Labowic » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:57:04

does anyone know what sndconfig actually does when it detects your sound
card?  I know it writes to the modules.conf file but it seems like it
initiallizes my soundcard somehow.  Is it doing a modprobe or something?

Thanks in advance
Michael

1. sndconfig

        I have a sound card with an Aureal chip.  I run sndconfig and it says
that it isn't supported.  The card has SBPro emulation, so I tried to set up by
doing sndconfig --noprobe.  I picked SBPro, and put in the I/O,IRQ,and DMA
numbers that it says in Windoze. (240, 5, 1) Also according to Windoze, there
are no conflicts with any of them.  When it tries to test it, I get:

modprobe error
/lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
/lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/misc/sb.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/misc/sb.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.15-4mdk/misc/sb.o: insmod sound-slot-0 failed

Also, if I try to connect to the net with KPPP after I do that, it says that
the modem is busy...some kind of conflict that I don't know about? cat
/proc/pci shows nothing on IRQ5.  So...can anyone tell me how or get me started
on getting sound in Linux?  One less thing that I will have to go into Windoze
for if its fixed.  Thanks for any help.

        Victor

2. Incompatible System Image

3. AWE32/64 sndconfig/synth0 problem

4. Freeware HTML Editor?

5. sndconfig locks up RH 5.2

6. No vi man page with RedHat?

7. Soundblaster 16 sndconfig Problem

8. Any consultants who set up Linux&UUCP?

9. sndconfig question:

10. Trying to use sndconfig ruins my modem! HELP!

11. sndconfig error

12. sndconfig - help!

13. sndconfig recognized soundcard but then wrote a modules.conf file that did not work