Looking for decent *.AVI Player for Linux

Looking for decent *.AVI Player for Linux

Post by Mike » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:58:34

Still a bit new, only can find Mpeg player, need something that can
decode AVI files.

Thanks

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:03:06

> Still a bit new, only can find Mpeg player, need something that can
> decode AVI files.

Mplayer does a good job. Be sure to read the README and the webpage VERY
CLOSE because the author is *about Redhat and gcc, bit the docs tell
how to compile it anyway. Also make sure to get the codecs on the same
page and install them per instructions BEFORE compiling.

I found it on freshmeat (http://www.veryComputer.com/) and others.

--
Microsoft Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was correct.

Post by kevin wilco » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:46:04

> Still a bit new, only can find Mpeg player, need something that can
> decode AVI files.

> Thanks

MPlayer can work wonders.  The site has a disclaimer/warning about
using RedHat's compiler, but they offer directions about how to get
around it.  I personally wouldn't worry about it not working.

Another option is Xine, which I swear by, though MPlayer was faster
for me.  I use Xine for *.avi, *.mpg, *.asf, and about anything else I
can throw at it.  Rumor is it also supports Quicktime now...

kw

Looking for decent *.AVI Player for Linux

Post by Mike » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:31:18

I have XINE and it works well, although it does not support AVI, do I
need to d/l codecs or something for it to work?  I also have xmovie
which seems to work with mpegs well.

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:46:04 GMT, kevin wilcox

Post by kevin wilco » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:22:55

> I have XINE and it works well, although it does not support AVI, do I
> need to d/l codecs or something for it to work?  I also have xmovie
> which seems to work with mpegs well.

your Xine doesn't support .avi??  that's very strange! I don't think I
have ever had an .avi that xine wouldn't play...did you go from
tarball/package manager or was it installed by your distro?

kw

Go fetch at http://www.freshrpms.net

--
Stig Palmquist // stig *at* palmquist *dot* no

1. *.avi or *.mov players for SCO??

I keep acessing all these sites that have .mov and .avi
multimedia file on them namly www.spe.sony.com and I want to see
them on my unix machine and not have to walk out and do it on a
windows machine. Does anyone know of such a beast. BTW I got
netscape to work......... Buy a SUN Sparc 1000 and run it on the
SPARC and DISPLAY it on SCO... Expensive, but reliable....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Success is no more than reaching
goals, remaining focused                  Open System Services

                                          305-541-1970 ext 22

2. Help! name resolutin problem!

3. AVI/Mov Players for Linux

4. Highlight colors in xterm & man.

5. AVI Player for Linux

6. Need help w/ XFree86 modeline for HP 98753A Fixed Freq Monitor!

7. AVI player for linux ?

8. Voice modem recommendation for vgetty

9. any .AVI players for Linux XF86 3.3?

10. Any AVI Players for Linux out there??

11. AVI player for Linux???

12. Program that does a decent AVI->MPG conversion??

13. Is there an AVI player for Linux?