MySQL Problem

Post by Patrick McDonnel » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 07:22:14

With Redhat 8.0 on a AMD Duron machine, trying to start the MySQL client
(to log in on my local server) and it says:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I've tried compiling MySQL from source, using binaries and RPMs.  I've
also tried older versions of MySQL (currently using 3.23.53).  Does
anyone know how to fix this problem?

MySQL Problem

Post by jim brow » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 21:30:34

Are you sure MySQL is running? netstat -a in a terminal window
should show MySQL running near the beginning of the list.
In GNOME, if you select "the RedHat" / server settings / services,
you get a list of servers. I found that mysqld was not checked and so
did not start automatically. CHecking this solved this part of the
problem for me. I still can't get ODBC working with MySQL.

I'm new to this so this may not help.

Post by Patrick McDonnel » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:57:55

> Are you sure MySQL is running? netstat -a in a terminal window
> should show MySQL running near the beginning of the list.
> In GNOME, if you select "the RedHat" / server settings / services,
> you get a list of servers. I found that mysqld was not checked and so
> did not start automatically. CHecking this solved this part of the
> problem for me. I still can't get ODBC working with MySQL.

Yes, stupid mistake.  I had thought I restarted mysqld, but I executed
the wrong command.  Sorry.

Post by And » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 05:47:36

> > Are you sure MySQL is running? netstat -a in a terminal window
> > should show MySQL running near the beginning of the list.
> > In GNOME, if you select "the RedHat" / server settings / services,
> > you get a list of servers. I found that mysqld was not checked and so
> > did not start automatically. CHecking this solved this part of the
> > problem for me. I still can't get ODBC working with MySQL.

> Yes, stupid mistake.  I had thought I restarted mysqld, but I executed
> the wrong command.  Sorry.

> > I'm new to this so this may not help.

> >> With Redhat 8.0 on a AMD Duron machine, trying to start the MySQL
> >> client (to log in on my local server) and it says:

> >> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> >> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

> >> I've tried compiling MySQL from source, using binaries and RPMs.  I've
> >> also tried older versions of MySQL (currently using 3.23.53).  Does
> >> anyone know how to fix this problem?

Patrick,
I think you are almost there.
Did you check your security setup?  You must open up a port for the
ODBC connection and allow your computer to talk to the remote MySQL
server.
Login as the root user and use your system tools to change your
security setting to allow ODBC traffic.  I prefer using the consol
program lokkit.
Get into a console and type lokkit.
Hopefully, this will help.

1. PHP + MySQL problem

I just installed MySQL 3.22 and PHP 3.05 on a Redhat 5.2 system running
Apache 1.3. Both PHP and MySQL are working (I can create and update
databases from the mysql prompt, and web pages with simple PHP scripts
such as echo etc. are served correctly). Problem is, PHP does not seem
to be able to access MySQL - any mysql-related PHP function gets in
result an error message ("function unsupported or undefined"). I read
the FAQs, but was not able to solve the problem.

Do I need to compile PHP in order to enable its MySQL support? Does it
mean that I also have to compile Apache? I haven't done that, I just
installed the binaries from the rpm packages. Or could the problem be
due to errors in the configuration scripts? When installing PHP, rpm
didn't find the correct location of Apache so I had to tweak some
parameters by hand. Any help or info about similar experience will be
greatly appreciated.

Andrian

2. Konsole login on startup

3. mysql problem

4. Lilo won't write to mbr!

5. MySQL problems

6. Firewall Scripting Problem

7. MySQL problem

8. What's the diff between XF3.1 and 3.1.1???

9. Apache/PHP/MySQL Problem

10. mySQL problems

11. apache+php3+mysql-problem

12. mysql problem