Newbie kernel rebuild question - where are the "custom" images going?

Newbie kernel rebuild question - where are the "custom" images going?

Post by waterbottlebood » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:24:18

Trying to rebuild a new kernel so I can use a new video driver.  I
have re-compiled and rebuilt a few times during debug of the new
driver and each time have obtained "-custom" images in my /boot
directory.  After my fourth attempt at getting the kernel built
correctly I am no longer seeing these files appear in the boot
directory. I'm not sure what I did differently aside from adding a
"0318" suffix to the "EXTRAVERSION" variable field in the
"/usr/src/linux.2.4.18-14" directory.  Thinking that a numeric suffix
woudln't work I set EXTRAVERSION to "custom" again and re-built.  The
files I am used to seeing are still not there.

Here are the exact steps I took:
cd /usr/src/linux.2.4.18-14
make mrproper
make menuconfig  <-- yes I saved the .config file
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

The "custom" suffix files no longer appear in the /boot directoy, and
the new boot entry in the /etc/grub.conf does not exist.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Post by Davi » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:48:30

> Trying to rebuild a new kernel so I can use a new video driver.  I
> have re-compiled and rebuilt a few times during debug of the new
> driver and each time have obtained "-custom" images in my /boot
> directory.  After my fourth attempt at getting the kernel built
> correctly I am no longer seeing these files appear in the boot
> directory. I'm not sure what I did differently aside from adding a
> "0318" suffix to the "EXTRAVERSION" variable field in the
> "/usr/src/linux.2.4.18-14" directory.  Thinking that a numeric suffix
> woudln't work I set EXTRAVERSION to "custom" again and re-built.  The
> files I am used to seeing are still not there.

> Here are the exact steps I took:
> cd /usr/src/linux.2.4.18-14
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig  <-- yes I saved the .config file
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install

> The "custom" suffix files no longer appear in the /boot directoy, and
> the new boot entry in the /etc/grub.conf does not exist.

After compiling it did you install it with either of 2 ways?

1)
make install

2)
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage  /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.xx
cp System.map  /boot/System.map-x.x.xx

Then edit /etc/lilo.conf or grib.conf and add the new kernel.
If using lilo run "lilo -v" and check for errors before rebooting.

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Slackware 9.0.0 Kernel 2.4.20 i686 (GCC) 3.2.2

Post by waterbottlebood » Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:54:20

> After compiling it did you install it with either of 2 ways?

> 1)
> make install

> 2)
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage  /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.xx
> cp System.map  /boot/System.map-x.x.xx

> Then edit /etc/lilo.conf or grib.conf and add the new kernel.
> If using lilo run "lilo -v" and check for errors before rebooting.

I can't believe I missed the last step - make install.  Sheesh.  Thanks.

1. Oops: rebuild without going through all the "config" questions?

   Well, I'm experimenting with rebuilding the RH 7.2 kernel (for ECC
memory, netfilter/iptables, and a few other odds & ends).  I've done it
once successfully and once with problems.  I'd like to keep 99% of my
.config, tweak a couple items, and try again.  Doing a "make mrproper"
whacks .config, so I save it before that step, and restore afterward
(before doing "make xconfig")  All the docs & books I've got tell (with
varying degrees of veracity) how to build the kernel once,  but none
tell how to tweak the one thing and build again.
    As an optional bonus round question : do you use the gui
configuration interface, or just edit the .config or makefile?  Where
can I find a description of the flags in .config?
    Tanks sin nad vants.

--
#include std.disclaimer.author.full.bull

2. ping lo - icmp error

4. ports / ASP

6. A Few Questions about Solaris 2.x

7. Newbie question about "Listen" and "Bind address"

8. SRM console access?

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. "Bus error" please help, I am going insane!

11. How to set the icon image of "dtterm"/"xterm" ?

12. "Drive letter" equivalent for lilo.conf's "image =" ?

13. Mail for user "backup" going to "root"