FTP login problem - real users cannot login

FTP login problem - real users cannot login

Post by atkinso » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:11:43

I have apparently done something to my RH6.2 system setup so that real
users (those with accounts on the machine) cannot FTP to the server.
The login is rejected after the username and password prompts with a
message saying the password is incorrect.  The accounts can Telnet into
the server.

When I checked /var/log/message, I noticed that there is a PAM error.
The user atkinson should have uid=500 and that is what the file shows
for telnet logins.  For FTP logins, the uid=0 for some reason and I am
guessing that is why the login fails.  Following are the two lines from
/var/log/message that are generated for FTP login attempts.

Mar  3 09:38:50 hermione PAM_pwdb[8791]: (login) session opened for user
                           atkinson by (uid=0)
Mar  3 09:38:50 hermione pam_console[8791]: can't find device or X11
                           socket to examine for 0

Help!  What have I screwed up?  I have been mucking around with the
configuration files trying to resolve a time delay between FTP connect
and the login prompt which everyone seems to think has something to do
with DNS.  Now I've really mucked it up so I cannot FTP to the server at
all!  I've looked around and don't see what I have done wrong.  Anyone
have any ideas.

-Landy

FTP login problem - real users cannot login

Post by Richard Harmonso » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:03:40

I believe there was an update to resolve this issue, however not knowing
what version nor which ftp server, wu-ftp?, I cannot be positive. Try
downloading the security update and its dependencies for Red Hat 6.2.

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2001-157.html

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCSA/NET+/RHCE

> I have apparently done something to my RH6.2 system setup so that real
> users (those with accounts on the machine) cannot FTP to the server. The
> login is rejected after the username and password prompts with a message
> saying the password is incorrect.  The accounts can Telnet into the
> server.

> When I checked /var/log/message, I noticed that there is a PAM error.
> The user atkinson should have uid=500 and that is what the file shows
> for telnet logins.  For FTP logins, the uid=0 for some reason and I am
> guessing that is why the login fails.  Following are the two lines from
> /var/log/message that are generated for FTP login attempts.

> Mar  3 09:38:50 hermione PAM_pwdb[8791]: (login) session opened for user
>                            atkinson by (uid=0)
> Mar  3 09:38:50 hermione pam_console[8791]: can't find device or X11
>                            socket to examine for 0

> Help!  What have I screwed up?  I have been mucking around with the
> configuration files trying to resolve a time delay between FTP connect
> and the login prompt which everyone seems to think has something to do
> with DNS.  Now I've really mucked it up so I cannot FTP to the server at
> all!  I've looked around and don't see what I have done wrong.  Anyone
> have any ideas.

> -Landy

FTP login problem - real users cannot login

Post by Landy Atkinso » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 02:51:14

I figured it out. YEAH!  While trying to get my FTP coneection to come
up quicker I had tried adding my username to the /etc/ftpusers file.
BAD thing to do!  I still don't understand why, but the documentation I
found at  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/  tells me that I shouldn't.

Now I am just back to my original problem.  Long delay between FTP
conect and getting the login prompt.

-Landy

Post by Ray Taylo » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 04:31:20

> I figured it out. YEAH!  While trying to get my FTP coneection to come
> up quicker I had tried adding my username to the /etc/ftpusers file. BAD
> thing to do!  I still don't understand why, but the documentation I
> found at  http://www.landfield.com/wu-ftpd/  tells me that I shouldn't.

Because if you read the docs, you'll see that the ftpusers file is a list
of people who are NOT allowed to login via ftp.  Notice how it comes
default with root and system accounts already in it?

Quote:> Now I am just back to my original problem.  Long delay between FTP
> conect and getting the login prompt.

It's probably a /etc/hosts issue, the same issue that is posted here every
day.  Add your local workstations to your /etc/hosts file on the server.

-Ray

FTP login problem - real users cannot login

Post by Richard Harmonso » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:40:07

Many services will attempt to lookup a host when they connect. You can
correct this a number of ways, but the two most common are adding hosts to
either the zone information on your name server or editing and adding them
to the /etc/hosts file.

--
Richard Harmonson
A+/CCNA/CNA/MCSA/NET+/RHCE

Post by atkinso » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:38:07

> > Now I am just back to my original problem.  Long delay between FTP
> > conect and getting the login prompt.

> It's probably a /etc/hosts issue, the same issue that is posted here every
> day.  Add your local workstations to your /etc/hosts file on the server.

> -Ray

I wasn't able to solve the problem by adding to /etc/hosts and finally
resorted to setting up full forward and reverse zone files on my cashing
DNS.  This has solved the problem and I now get blazingly quick
connections and login prompts for FTP.

I have the line
    hosts:     files nisplus nis dns
in my /etc/nsswitch.conf which I thought was what told services to check
/etc/hosts before DNS.  Is there another place I need to do something
like this to get services to read my /etc/hosts?

The final mystery is why everything worked fine for more than 2 months
and then suddenly required a full DNS to operate properly.  I'm glad it
is working now, but these unsolved mysteries leave a bad taste in one's
mouth.

Thanks to all who have offered advice.
-Landy

Post by Bit Twist » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 20:57:05

> I have the line
>     hosts:     files nisplus nis dns
> in my /etc/nsswitch.conf which I thought was what told services to check
> /etc/hosts before DNS.  Is there another place I need to do something
> like this to get services to read my /etc/hosts?

You might checkout
man host.conf

cat /etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on

1. SOLVED: FTP login problem - real users cannot login

I wasn't able to solve the problem by adding to /etc/hosts and finally
resorted to setting up full forward and reverse zone files on my cashing
DNS.  This has solved the problem and I now get blazingly quick
connections and login prompts for FTP.

I have the line
    hosts:     files nisplus nis dns
in my /etc/nsswitch.conf which I thought was what told services to check
/etc/hosts before DNS.  Is there another place I need to do something
like this to get services to read my /etc/hosts?

The final mystery is why everything worked fine for more than 2 months
and then suddenly required a full DNS to operate properly.  I'm glad it
is working now, but these unsolved mysteries leave a bad taste in one's
mouth.

Thanks to all who have offered advice.
-Landy

2. 2.4.9 breaks ymfpci on VAIO

3. Cannot login in FTP with any user anymore

4. Controlling Biff

5. FTP-users cannot login

6. need help on Sun 4/110 (4.1) => PS printer lpd filter

7. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE

8. Port Redirection and real netwotrk address adresse

9. Login problem with root, but can login with other user.

10. problem: Login after AIX 5L install: login prompt reappears after entering user name

11. Login:users cannot "cd to /home/user"

12. Ftp problem, root cannot login across telnet

13. Login without login getting recorded into last login file