New Kernel and Grub problem

Post by Richard Hellma » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 02:36:27

Hello all.

I have a dual boot Win2k/RH 7.2 laptop. The kernel is 2.4.9-31 and it runs
fine. I wanted to add NTFS support to the kernel so I did the following-

make mrproper
make xconfig
I loaded the config file- kernel 2.4.9-31-i686
I added NTFS support under file system as a module
Saved and Exited xconfig
Make dep
Make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-31custom

I edited grub to reflect the new kernel. I took the existing 2.4.9-31 entry,
copied it, and changed it to reflect the custom kernel.

When I rebooted and selected the new kernel in grub, I got =
Error 15 File Not Found

Can someone shed some light on this? I can boot 3 other kernels (2.4.7.
2.4.9-31, 31-debug) all without issue. When I try to recompile the kernel,
this is what I get.

Help, please????

Thank you to anyone who could offer assistance.

New Kernel and Grub problem

Post by Christian Blackbur » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:26:13

You don't happen to have any RAID partitions do you?  7.2 release shipped
with faulty RAID.  You can update it though, however I (as in ME myself and
I and not you) don't know how to do that when the OS won't boot so good
luck.
-Christian

Quote:> Hello all.

> I have a dual boot Win2k/RH 7.2 laptop. The kernel is 2.4.9-31 and it runs
> fine. I wanted to add NTFS support to the kernel so I did the following-

> make mrproper
> make xconfig
> I loaded the config file- kernel 2.4.9-31-i686
> I added NTFS support under file system as a module
> Saved and Exited xconfig
> Make dep
> Make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-31custom

> I edited grub to reflect the new kernel. I took the existing 2.4.9-31
entry,
> copied it, and changed it to reflect the custom kernel.

> When I rebooted and selected the new kernel in grub, I got =
> Error 15 File Not Found

> Can someone shed some light on this? I can boot 3 other kernels (2.4.7.
> 2.4.9-31, 31-debug) all without issue. When I try to recompile the kernel,
> this is what I get.

> Help, please????

> Thank you to anyone who could offer assistance.

New Kernel and Grub problem

Post by Richard Hellma » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:50:30

I reinstalled RH 7.2 and redid the kernel compiling. Now everything seems to
work fine.

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. Call for Papers: LCTES 2001 (ACM SIGPLAN Workshop)

3. booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

4. MAKEDEV Problems

5. How to put new build kernel into Grub

6. Linux don't detect correct partitions (HELP!)

7. GrUB Hangs after new kernel installed

8. How is the KeepAliveTime in the TCP/IP protocol stack handled in Linux?

9. GRUB: adding a new kernel boot entry

10. How to boot new Kernel with Grub -deleted the old files in /boot directory

11. first attempt to compile a new kernel and editing GRUB

12. new kernel & grub

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.