7.3 startup problems, allways goes to text mode

7.3 startup problems, allways goes to text mode

Post by Kevi » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 03:26:58

I'm new to Linux, not computers. I've managed to recover from a few problems
and learn abit about Linux but I'm not getting anywhere with this one.
Occasionally my Linux would bootup in text mode. Restarting would not make a
change but then the next day it would boot into Gnome just fine. Now it is
only booting into text mode.

No errors on startup. But shutdown is reporting that lpd failed to shutdown.

What steps do I take to figure this out?

--
==============================
Remove the NOSPAM from my email address to reply to me. Or just post some

Post by James Knot » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 06:20:30

> I'm new to Linux, not computers. I've managed to recover from a few
> problems and learn abit about Linux but I'm not getting anywhere with this
> one. Occasionally my Linux would bootup in text mode. Restarting would not
> make a change but then the next day it would boot into Gnome just fine.
> Now it is only booting into text mode.

> No errors on startup. But shutdown is reporting that lpd failed to
> shutdown.

> What steps do I take to figure this out?

Look in the file /etc/inittab for the line "id:5:initdefault:".  If it says
3, instead of 5, use an editor to change it back to 5.

--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.

james.knott.

7.3 startup problems, allways goes to text mode

Post by Kevi » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:30:48

Thank you James, as soon as I posted and rebooted it went into graphics
mode. Any way now I know what to look for. Thanks again.

> Look in the file /etc/inittab for the line "id:5:initdefault:".  If it
> says 3, instead of 5, use an editor to change it back to 5.

1. Getting Graphic Mode and Text Mode during Startup

Hi...

I am fairly new with Redhat Linux 7.1 and the question I have for
everyone is...

Is there anyway that during the startup screen I can actually choose
between Graphic Mode and Text Mode???  I have it starting up right now
in Text mode and I know that I can do a telinit 5 to get back to
graphic mode but is there anyway to get it to be an option when I boot
up.

Right now it looks like this.

Linux
Linux UP

If you have any more questions or comments please let me know.

Thanks for all your help...
Richard

2. Probem in for loop with echo

3. Mode gets screwed up going back to text mode

4. Help configuring Shorewall with IP masquerading-Mandriva

5. X Install Problem: "X startup failed, falling back to text mode" (Red Hat 6.2)

6. Re : Bernd ? What SCSI & IDE Combo ?

7. How can I choose a better text mode (at startup)

8. terminal problems on linux

9. ppp problem going from Red Hat 7.2 to 7.3

10. My monitor went black in Linux/Debian (X) and text mode earlier today...

11. Text modes going berko on S3 864 (Miro 20SD)

12. Mach64 text mode goes red after X?

13. How to go back to text mode in gdm?