RedHat 7.2 firewall, FTP, VMWare, etc

Post by bernie » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 22:30:18

I just installed RedHat 7.2 (came from 7.0 w/2.2 Kernel).

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

I cannot FTP into my machine.
IPCHAINS errors out.
VMWARE cannot communicate via SAMBA or FTP to the Linux Host.

from static IP to DHCP.

In the KDE Control Panel, when I try to change my network setting from
Network Configuration, the settings do not actually get applied.

Questions:

1.  How do I enable FTP?
2.  How do I use my existing IPCHAINS rules?
3.  Anybody familiar with VMWare 3.x and have gotten full access to
Linux (as I had under RedHat 7.0 with VMWare 2.x)?
4.  Is there a DOC somewhere on how to auto-setup (or even manually
setup) DHCP.  Additionally, how will this affect my VMWare session once
I finally get around to working on it?

I feel like my machine is a mess right now.

HELP!

Bernie

RedHat 7.2 firewall, FTP, VMWare, etc

Post by Michael Gorsuc » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 04:31:35

Well, I'll try and answer a few of these for ya.  Sorry to hear about your
problems.  Let's see...

1) Assuming the ftpd package is installed, head for the /etc/xinetd.d
directory and open up the wu-ftpd file.  Change the line that reads
"disable = yes" to disable = no"

2) IPChains... if you take a look /etc/sysconfig/ipchains, you will see a
bunch of ipchains rule sets.  You should be able to replace those with what
you wanna do.  Modify it, then do a "service ipchains restart" and see what
happens.

4) Use the "setup" command as root to enable the configuration utility.
This will allow you to modify your existing network settings.

> I just installed RedHat 7.2 (came from 7.0 w/2.2 Kernel).

> EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

> I cannot FTP into my machine.
> IPCHAINS errors out.
> VMWARE cannot communicate via SAMBA or FTP to the Linux Host.

> from static IP to DHCP.

> In the KDE Control Panel, when I try to change my network setting from
> Network Configuration, the settings do not actually get applied.

> Questions:

> 1.  How do I enable FTP?
> 2.  How do I use my existing IPCHAINS rules?
> 3.  Anybody familiar with VMWare 3.x and have gotten full access to
> Linux (as I had under RedHat 7.0 with VMWare 2.x)?
> 4.  Is there a DOC somewhere on how to auto-setup (or even manually
> setup) DHCP.  Additionally, how will this affect my VMWare session once
> I finally get around to working on it?

> I feel like my machine is a mess right now.

> HELP!

> Bernie

1. RedHat 7.2 firewall and ftp

I just installed RedHat 7.2 (came from 7.0 w/2.2 Kernel).

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

I cannot FTP into my machine.
IPCHAINS errors out.
VMWARE cannot communicate via SAMBA or FTP to the Linux Host.

Questions:

1.  How do I enable FTP?
2.  How do I use my existing IPCHAINS rules?
3.  Anybody familiar with VMWare 3.x and have gotten full access to
Linux (as I had under RedHat 7.0 with VMWare 2.x)?

I feel like my machine is a mess right now.

HELP!

Berni

2. SCSI CDRom Audio probs

3. problem with ftp client behind redhat 7.2 iptables firewall

4. free shell

5. VMware 3.0 and RedHat 7.2

6. Sony 55E

7. Installing RedHat 7.2 in VMWare

8. vmware 3.0 fails config.pl on redhat 7.2

9. Installing RedHat 7.2 inside VMWare

10. RedHat 7.2 and Firewalling

11. Conflict between POP server and iptables firewall on Redhat 7.2

12. Help "Installing" a firewall on RedHat 7.2