gnat box firewall

Post by drew cutte » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:26:21

I just got free copy of gnat firewall. Any good ? I just took blackice off
my nt box because of the DoS attacks possible with this firewall. Thinking
of of going with ipchains and mason.

gnat box firewall

Post by Rob MacGrego » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:18:24

> I just got free copy of gnat firewall. Any good ? I just took blackice off
> my nt box because of the DoS attacks possible with this firewall. Thinking
> of of going with ipchains and mason.

It works, just fine.  Also try http://edge.fireplug.net/ and
www.linuxrouter.org.

GnatBox has the nice web based interface and easy to work with console, the
others drop this (IMHO the Edge is the least user friendly, but the easiest to
configure at the start).

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE) [PGP key ID 0x1F5239DD]
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

1. Linux box + Speedtouch Pro router: how to do firewall on Linux box

Hi,

I bought the 4-port Speedtouch Pro ADSL modem/router.
It uses PPP to talk to my ISP. It is connected to my
Linux box via the ethercard card. I will also connect a laptop
to the router, so that I will have a two-machine LAN.
(Cannot connect laptop to PC, as I have only one network card on the PC.)

The router works fine as a modem and an NAT box. But there is no firewalling on
the router as it does not seem to support port forwarding.

So, how to do firewalling?

In principle, I am thinking of:
(a) forwarding all network traffic to my PC
(b) setting up the PC as the default gateway for all other machines on the LAN,
     using iptables to do the port forwarding on the PC.

Would anyone know if this is possible with the Speedtouch Pro?

There is an option on the PPP setup of the router for an "Only Me"
connection, so that the router would allow only my PC to use its ADSL connection.
I am assuming that this achieves (a).

But would the router send all packets from my laptop via my PC, if I tell my
laptop (running Win98) that the default gateway is 10.0.0.1 (private address for
my PC)? I suppose I have to do something with the IP routing table on the router.
At the moment, the table is:

Destination
        Source          Gateway         Intf
default
                10.0.0.1/32     212.56.100.59   MYPPP
10.0.0.0/8              10.0.0.0/8      10.0.0.138      eth0
212.56.100.59/32
any             212.56.100.59   MYPPP
255.255.255.255/32
any             10.0.0.138      eth0
10.0.0.138/32           any             10.0.0.138  eth0

10.0.0.138 is the router
10.0.0.1 is the Linux box
212.56... is my ISP-assigned IP address for my connection

-Derek

2. Printing bug in Solaris 2.6 ?

3. Nokia IP400 Firewall and Checkpoint (The Fastest Checkpoint Firewall Box)

4. A few questions about fork()

5. Suggested firewall for box inside firewall?

6. Collocate your server (UK)

7. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

8. Interprocess Communication

9. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

10. Firewall tunnel to Solaris 8 box

11. Access netware server through firewall from my windows box

12. is 486 linux box good as fax/print/firewall server?

13. Setting Up a Minimal Box to do Firewalling and Routing to Internet