Ok, OK What ports need to be open????

Post by Stan Benoi » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

After reading postings on ports I have a question.

In order to use a computer to browse the internet, and use email via a
ppp(modem) connection,  to an ISP, what  ports should be open?

And if so.....

can all others(ports) be closed?

Stan Benoit

Post by GC » Mon, 27 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> After reading postings on ports I have a question.

> In order to use a computer to browse the internet, and use email via a
> ppp(modem) connection,  to an ISP, what  ports should be open?

> And if so.....

> can all others(ports) be closed?

Unless you plan on connecting remotely to your box or running a
mail/web/whatever server, no ports need to be open. You can leave identd
(113) open if want, but I have everything except ssh (22) closed (you
can close the ports by commenting out (#) the various services in
/etc/inetd.conf).

Cheers,
GC

Post by David » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> After reading postings on ports I have a question.

> In order to use a computer to browse the internet, and use email via a
> ppp(modem) connection, to an ISP, what ports should be open?

If you're not running any servers, the answer is _none_.  With the
possible exception of FTP sessions, all TCP connections involving your
computer should originate from your computer.  So there's no need to
accept an incoming connection from anyone else.

If you receive e-mail via POP, then your end is always initiating the
connection for mail, and there's no need to allow someone else to
establish a connection to you.

If you receive e-mail via sendmail (which would be _very_ unusual for
someone with a dial-up connection to the 'net), then you'd need to allow
SMTP connections.  But this probably doesn't apply to you.

Quote:> can all others(ports) be closed?

Yep.

-- David

1. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok

Please send Help,
      First time loading Linux 5.2 redhat    Not sure what to partition in
the custom mode.    I have 2 hard drives, pri1 is 8gig and pri2 is 2gig,sec1
is cdrom,sec2 is empty.     Primary drive 1(pri1) is loaded with Win98)~:, I
want to load Linux onto pri2 (primary drive 2) and dual boot.    What is the
best way to do this?     Any advice would be helpful.

              Thank You,

                         Matthew

2. small-dist networking

3. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

4. LOADLIN under W95 or OS2

5. ppp ok, nslookup ok, but telnet&ftp need #

6. Smartcard Reader with Linux

7. OK, so NOW I am able to "stealth" my ports

8. Need Info on UNIX-LINUX OS's/& C++

9. Modem Problems: dial-out is ok/dial-in is not ok (Solaris 2.6)

10. Ping ok, netscape, gftp, lynx not ok

11. OK OK So X-window looks like great thing until you try to use it.

12. AWE32 NOT DETECTED PNP OK PNP OK