secure tunneling software

Post by Anonymou » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 02:53:47

I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling program
for Linux
Something like Fsecure or SecureCRT

Any suggestions?

-Mark

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

secure tunneling software

Post by Tim Hayne » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:16:05

> I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling
> program for Linux Something like Fsecure or SecureCRT

Last time I checked, Fsecure and SecureCRT weren't tunneling programs.

If you want ssh, `man ssh' is your friend.

If you want tunneling, grab a copy of tunnelv from the nice people at
<http://www.worldvisions.ca/>.

~Tim
--

Memories twist in the rain                      |http://piglet.is.dreaming.org

secure tunneling software

Post by maxm.. » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:44:32

SSH/OpenSSH is your best bet. It can do much more the just encrypted
telnet, like X windows forwarding, VNC forwarding and other port
forwarding as well as remote command execution.

THe server is easy to install, just get the RPM from MandrakeSoft. Most
of the clients are pretty easy too.

Quote:> I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling
program
> for Linux
> Something like Fsecure or SecureCRT

> Any suggestions?

> -Mark

>   --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
>      Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
>     -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

secure tunneling software

Post by Andre van Di » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 04:59:29

Op Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:53:47 -0600 schreef Anonymous:

Quote:>I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling program
>for Linux
>Something like Fsecure or SecureCRT

You could use OpenSsh for tunneling. Or maybe you need something like
stunnel: http://www.stunnel.org

Cya
--
Andre van Dijk
,----------------------------------+-------------+-----------------------.

`----------------------------------+-------------+-----------------------'
Mr. Garrison: Ohh, uh, gee, isn't that an amazing coincidence? Hmm,
what are the odds of that?

secure tunneling software

Post by Marble He » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 01:41:55

Quote:>I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling
>program for Linux
>Something like Fsecure or SecureCRT

>Any suggestions?

>-Mark

Do you mean you want to connect *to* a linux box, or *from* a linux box?
Using ssh, or ssl?  I don't know the difference technically between secure
tunneling and connecting securely in general, but I *think* that ssh is not
a tunnel, and ssl is.

If you want to connect from windows, I like TeraTerm Pro.  There are ssh
and ssl patches for it.

secure tunneling software

Post by Anonymou » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:52:38

Yes, I found out I didn't need any software to do port-forwarding (which is
what I meant).  I could do it from the command line with ssh.

But about TerraTerm pro, I have the ssh plugin for it but I'm having a
terrible time getting it to let me ssh into my solaris box.

Anybody know of some very detailed instructions I could get, got a headache
reading howto's

-Mark

> >I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling
> >program for Linux
> >Something like Fsecure or SecureCRT

> >Any suggestions?

> >-Mark

> Do you mean you want to connect *to* a linux box, or *from* a linux box?
> Using ssh, or ssl?  I don't know the difference technically between secure
> tunneling and connecting securely in general, but I *think* that ssh is
not
> a tunnel, and ssl is.

> If you want to connect from windows, I like TeraTerm Pro.  There are ssh
> and ssl patches for it.

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

secure tunneling software

Post by Marble He » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 07:06:03

Quote:>Yes, I found out I didn't need any software to do port-forwarding (which
>is what I meant).  I could do it from the command line with ssh.

>But about TerraTerm pro, I have the ssh plugin for it but I'm having a
>terrible time getting it to let me ssh into my solaris box.

>Anybody know of some very detailed instructions I could get, got a
>headache reading howto's

What are you looking for?
You want detailed instructions, but not howtos?
You want to use Tera Term Pro for ssh, to connect to a solaris box, but
your original question regarded using ssh on linux.

What is it you're trying to do, and is this the proper group to post?

secure tunneling software

Post by Joe Harriso » Thu, 08 Feb 2001 21:54:19

Quote:> I'm looking for a nice (at least fairly intuitive) Secure Tunneling
program
> for Linux

How about Zebedee, www.winton.org.uk

Not tried the new version but even the old one rocked.

1. Secure Tunnel Bridging (was: Re: Encrypted tunnels through the internet???)

Another alternative is to use Secure Tunnel Bridging:

  Secure Tunnel Bridging
  ----------------------
  The need for truly secure transmission of non-IP packets (IPX, DECnet,
  AppleTalk, XNS, VINES, etc.) over all public networks (Internet, Frame
  Relay, ISDN, POTS, leased lines, etc.) is every bit as critical as securing
  IP communications. To date, almost all security solutions have focused on
  IP.  All networks, regardless of protocol, need strong safeguards against
  data tampering or theft. Secure Tunnel Bridging (STB) ensures the privacy,
  authenticity and integrity of all LAN and WAN communications.

  STB works by establishing a secure data tunnel between the source and
  destination devices. Logically, the data is bridged between the two devices.
  The source device encapsulates the bridged packet in an IP tunnel header.
  The packet is then routed through the network to the tunnel destination.
  The tunnel destination then de-encapsulates the packet and bridges the
  original packet onto the destination network. Hence, both bridging and
  routing occur. The packet appears to be bridged between the source and
  destination devices. The packet is actually routed via IP between
  the devices. STB gives organizations the ability to communicate privately
  over public networks, regardless of protocol--in effect creating a
  secure/virtual private network (S/VPN) for the enterprise.

It is exportable with up to 512-bit keys; e-mail me directly if you want
to know more.

Doug Lakin
 President, TeleCommerce, Inc.
 9452 Telephone Road #246
 Ventura, CA 93004
          "He who follows sheep gets eaten by wolves"...Confucious

2. Horizonal black lines on display - problem w/ graphics card?

3. Extranet = Firewall + Secure tunnel

4. getservbyport() not working in redhat?

5. Secure NFS via SSH Tunneling now available

6. IBCS2 and missing header

7. Secure Encrypted Tunnel Through Firewall For HTTP

8. Getty & Dial-back

9. Secure POP: Alternative to SSH tunnel?

10. secure ftp ? ssh-tunnel the controlchannel ?

11. Secure Tunneling

12. anonymizer.com and secure tunneling?

13. Secure Secure Secure