Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

Post by Kevin C. Redd » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:23:52

Hey, I'm looking for a way to secure my new linux system, but I'm
totally lost with the man papers, and other books dealing with
security. They all seem to be written for the advanced user who
understands these things. Any mailing lists, or web sites, that can
explain how to set up the IP chains firewall, and making your system
secure? I see there's something in Gnome on setting up the IP chains,
but again, it's beyond my experience to do it right.

Good stuff  at http://www.linuxnewbie.org

Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

Post by Joe » Tue, 24 Apr 2001 05:22:41

I'd also recommend going to http://www.openna.com

They have a book there called 'Securing and Optimizing Linux Redhat
Edition'. It covers step by step how to install a RH 6.1 or 6.2 box
and how to secure it.

Parts of it could be organized a little better but its a great book.

You can buy it (which I recommend because they donate part of their
sales to Open Source) but you can also download a copy of it for free.

Excellent book.

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:16:57 +0100, "Steve Cox"

>> Hey, I'm looking for a way to secure my new linux system, but I'm
>> totally lost with the man papers, and other books dealing with security.
>> They all seem to be written for the advanced user who understands these
>> things. Any mailing lists, or web sites, that can explain how to set up
>> the IP chains firewall, and making your system secure? I see there's
>> something in Gnome on setting up the IP chains, but again, it's beyond
>> my experience to do it right.

>Good stuff  at http://www.linuxnewbie.org

1. Newbie: security on newly mail server, web server & mysql, ftp

I am newbie in linux. I want to set up a mail server
including web server
which implement mysql, & ftp on Linux Red Hat 6.1. qmail is
already
installed as mail server, as well web server apache. I do
not install
X Windows, connection to telnet port 23 only open to
202.1.2.3/25
others are denied. FTp only open connection from IP
202.1.2.3/25.
Users have shell /bin/false, so they can not connect to port
23.
What others securities are need ?

Is it secure to open linuxconf (/etc/inetd.conf) ? I already
comment out
some services not needed in /etc/inetd.conf, any input ?
And how to allow 202.1.2.3/25 & denied others to put in
/etc/hosts.allow
or /etc/hosts.deny ? And how to limit FTP access only from
ip
202.1.2.3/25 ? Because it is built on a cheap computer and
only
our customers get access to our FTP server.

TIA

~yudi

2. How to make a pseudo tty secure from a user process?

3. Leaux : Mailing List / Web Site : Using Linux on systems with small footprints or less resources

4. Firewall workaround -detailed

5. Linux site for newbies by a newbie

6. Name brand PCs and linux

7. Linux Newbie Info. Web Site