gid=0

Post by Serge Zlobi » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

 Hello, everybody!
 Is it possible to get root privelegies using the user with gid=0 but
uid  is not zero? Generally, what's the danger to be such user?

--
With best regards, Sir-G.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

gid=0

Post by Gunnar Ritte » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>  Hello, everybody!
>  Is it possible to get root privelegies using the user with gid=0 but
> uid  is not zero? Generally, what's the danger to be such user?

> --
> With best regards, Sir-G.

Zero gid gives no special permissions by default. But there are
several files on most systems that allow reading, writing or
executing with this gid only. Use
find / -group 0 -exec ls -ld {} \;
to get a list.

Gunnar Ritter

gid=0

Post by Marius Huse Jacobse » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>  Hello, everybody!
>>  Is it possible to get root privelegies using the user with gid=0 but
>> uid  is not zero? Generally, what's the danger to be such user?
>Zero gid gives no special permissions by default. But there are
>several files on most systems that allow reading, writing or
>executing with this gid only. Use
>find / -group 0 -exec ls -ld {} \;
>to get a list.

I have some (system) programs and files that I like being able to run
without using the SU command. For these purposes, I have gid=0 and the file
permissions set accordingly.

Such as raw access to devices (at least reading) is among my examples. I do
some commands like that of copying disks rawly. (Because of that, my
M$office disk is untouched.)

Anyway, I cannot use shutdown without su root. But that was solved with a
small private script in ~/bin/

1. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. term tcp emulator

3. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

4. Linux Firewall ?

5. Normal for root to be UID 0 GID 0 rather than GID 1 ?

6. Want to upgrade my libpcap

7. Root's UID and GID

8. Decompiler available?

9. HPUX - set GID and UID?

10. uid and gid in vfat fstab entry

11. Account UID/GID manager across multiple platforms?

12. NFS and UIDs/GIDs

13. is there assigned GID numbers?