bastille causes sound problems - can you undo bastille?

bastille causes sound problems - can you undo bastille?

Post by Fitzgerald Steele, Jr » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hello...

I downloaded and played with the Bastille scripts.  Basically I wanted to see
what it could do, what it couldn't do.  It worked fine.  Now I'd like to undo
some of those changes, but there doesn't seem to be a real easy way to do that.
I saw the bastille-action-log.  Great idea there...I was able to see where it
made changes, and I was able to customize some of those files.

Now I'd like to undo some of the things bastille did to my system, but its not
always so easy.  Since I ran bastille, non-root users can't use sound - so wav
sounds or xmms don't play.  I'm assuming when Bastille removed the SUID on some
system files, users weren't able to access the sound device.  Or something like
that.  How might I fix that?

Another thing...bastille made the lilo.conf file super read-only.  It won't even
let me (as root) change the file permissions, or move it or copy or anything.
There's gotta be some way around that!

Thanks for your time,

Jerry Steele

Post by Maarten Vin » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello...

> I downloaded and played with the Bastille scripts.  Basically I wanted to see
> what it could do, what it couldn't do.  It worked fine.  Now I'd like to undo
> some of those changes, but there doesn't seem to be a real easy way to do that.
> I saw the bastille-action-log.  Great idea there...I was able to see where it
> made changes, and I was able to customize some of those files.

> Now I'd like to undo some of the things bastille did to my system, but its not
> always so easy.  Since I ran bastille, non-root users can't use sound - so wav
> sounds or xmms don't play.  I'm assuming when Bastille removed the SUID on some
> system files, users weren't able to access the sound device.  Or something like
> that.  How might I fix that?

> Another thing...bastille made the lilo.conf file super read-only.  It won't even
> let me (as root) change the file permissions, or move it or copy or anything.
> There's gotta be some way around that!

> Thanks for your time,

> Jerry Steele

The lilo thing is strange; I don't know the solution to that one. But for the
sound,
just make your sound devices world-writeable; chmod a+rw /dev/dsp should do the
trick. Note that /dev/dsp isn't the only device used; see the sound-howto for
more info.

Maarten Vink

bastille causes sound problems - can you undo bastille?

Post by Steve Housem » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

<snip>
Quote:> Another thing...bastille made the lilo.conf file super read-only.
> It won't even let me (as root) change the file permissions

<snip>

chattr ?

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

1. ICQ and Bastille problem

As the subject line says, I'm having some problems with getting icq to
work through a Bastille-hardened firewall/masquerading box.

I've installed the ip_masq_icq module and edited the bastille-firewall
script to install it, but suspect that there's something else to be done
here. So far the icq client will try to log on to the server (I can see
the activity light on my cable modem flash, indicating that it's
sending), but there's no joy.

In reading the icq section of the ip-masquerading faq, it seems that all
one needs to do is include the masq module, but since it's sending and
I'm not getting any replies back, I'm guessing that I have to change
something in the bastille-firewall script since it seems to be dropping
the replies. The question is what. Am feeling leery of blindly hacking
and slashing in there since I don't want to compromise the firewalling
capabilities of the script...

So has any kind soul out there gotten this to work? If so, please let me
know how....

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this. I appreciate any help.

/Payload

2. graphical X based imake/make system?

3. diagnosins IPmasq/bastille problem

4. Help ADSL with Bell Atlantic New Engaland

5. Bastille related problem

6. Dlink DE 530CT ??

7. Bastille linux or RPM problem?

8. S3 greyed in 2.2.15 Kernel Setup!!

9. Bastille Linux problems

10. masq, bastille, problems with accessing some sites

11. SSRT3450 HP-UX Bastille sendmail.cf problem

12. Bastille & iptables

13. How do I start Bastille?