VPN for Linux based Firewall??

Post by Bryan Packe » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Anyone have any suggestions for some VPN software to allow a person to
connect 2 Windoze networks with Linux firewalls via the internet?

Thanks
bryan

--
--------------
Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

VPN for Linux based Firewall??

Post by Bria » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Try NetMax Firewall/VPN

http://www.netmax.com

Post by Cokey de Perci » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Anyone have any suggestions for some VPN software to allow a person to
> connect 2 Windoze networks with Linux firewalls via the internet?

> Thanks
> bryan

> --
> --------------
> Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:

Post by Vipul Ved Praka » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Anyone have any suggestions for some VPN software to allow a person to
>connect 2 Windoze networks with Linux firewalls via the internet?

cipe is an IP tunneling device which can be used for building encrypting
routers for a VPN.  It encrypts out-going IP packets with Blowfish/IDEA and
sends them out as UDP packets to a peer router.  Setup is pretty similar to
ppp.  See http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html for more
information and source code.

You could also use FreeS/WAN (http://fresswan.org), which is an IPSEC
implementation for Linux.  An overview of IPSEC and FreeS/WAN is located at
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.5/doc/overview.html

cipe, FreeS/WAN and some other IP encrypting applications for Linux are
archived at http://munitions2.xs4all.nl/0204.shtml.

best regards,
vipul.

--

Vipul Ved Prakash, http://www.vipul.net/
PGP Fingerprint d5f78d9fc694a45a00ae086062498922

VPN for Linux based Firewall??

Post by Bryan Packe » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks to all of you who replied. looks like I have my reading
assignment for the week....

bryan

> >Anyone have any suggestions for some VPN software to allow a person to
> >connect 2 Windoze networks with Linux firewalls via the internet?

> cipe is an IP tunneling device which can be used for building encrypting
> routers for a VPN.  It encrypts out-going IP packets with Blowfish/IDEA and
> sends them out as UDP packets to a peer router.  Setup is pretty similar to
> ppp.  See http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/cipe.html for more
> information and source code.

> You could also use FreeS/WAN (http://fresswan.org), which is an IPSEC
> implementation for Linux.  An overview of IPSEC and FreeS/WAN is located at
> http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.5/doc/overview.html

> cipe, FreeS/WAN and some other IP encrypting applications for Linux are
> archived at http://munitions2.xs4all.nl/0204.shtml.

> best regards,
> vipul.

> --

> Vipul Ved Prakash, http://www.vipul.net/
> PGP Fingerprint d5f78d9fc694a45a00ae086062498922

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky, and I
thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

VPN for Linux based Firewall??

Post by w.. » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Thanks to all of you who replied. looks like I have my reading
> assignment for the week....

with my debian system, i got up and running thus:

        apt-get install iproute ipmasq
                <the debian way of not having to mess with rpms>

        DEV=myCheapOTunnel
        OUTSIDE_HERE=987.654.321.0
        OUTSIDE_THERE=123.456.789.0
        INSIDE_HERE=192.168.9.1
        INSIDE_THERE=192.168.5.1
        MASK=255.255.255.0
        TTL=255
        MODE=gre
        ip tunnel add $DEV \
                local $OUTSIDE_HERE \
                remote $OUTSIDE_THERE \
                mode $MODE \
                ttl $TTL
        ifconfig $DEV \
                $INSIDE_HERE pointopoint $INSIDE_THERE \
                netmask $MASK
        ipmasq # to account for new device 'myCheapOTunnel' in firewall

don't think it's securely encrypted, but it's THERE.
"comes with the meat" so to speak. very snarky.

with this setup we were able to have to previously-masqueraded
windo~1 boxes mount each others' public volumes. just like
downtown.

[NOTE -- ifconfig is picky about device names, checking
only for those that start with a lowercase alphabetic.
last time i checked.]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

VPN for Linux based Firewall??

Post by Internet Direc » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/pptp.html

Morton Bay PopTop VPN Server for linux works Ok.

Neil

>Anyone have any suggestions for some VPN software to allow a person to
>connect 2 Windoze networks with Linux firewalls via the internet?

>Thanks
>bryan

>--
>--------------
>Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

1. Linux based Firewall with URL & Content Blocking for LAN - 4 Concurrent VPN Tunnels!

No need to install filtering software on all systems!

 URL and Content Blocking! For Entire Network!
 FireWall / NAT.
 Dial-In Access.
 WEB Based Administration.
 No Limit on Shared Internet Access.
 Up to 4 Concurrent PPTP / VPN Connections. Over Internet or Separate Dial In!
 EMail Server for up to 200 Clients.
 Easy installation and configuration.

The INTERNETpro SES securely connects your network to the Internet easily with a robust firewall. Applying the NAT gateway, office computers in the Local Area Network (LAN) are protected from outside threats. The built- in firewall filters and inspects packets to prevent unauthorized Internet applications from accessing the LAN.

The INTERNETpro SES has a built-in VPN server that allows telecommuters, day extenders and road warriors to access the small office network securely through the Internet. The VPN server is compatible with the Windows 95/ 98 and 2000 Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) VPN client.

The INTERNETpro SES allows everyone in your office LAN to access the Internet through one connection. The network can logon to the Internet using one ISP account through one dial- up modem, cable modem, ADSL or ISDN line. With the dial- in service enabled and a modem connected, remote users can securely dial back directly into the office network.

The software wizard setup guide allows non- expert networking personnel to configure the INTERNETpro SOHO and get connected to the Internet. Administration of the INTERNETpro SES is done through the web browser.

Visit: http://www.Ware1.com

2. open firmware boot problem

3. Cisco VPN Client through pf-based firewall

4. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

5. LINUX/shorewall firewall to firewall VPN question

6. Performances comparisons

7. An application gateway firewall based on Linux - ITShield firewall

8. Is hardware messing my compile?

9. Checkpoint Firewall-1 VPN and Firewall

10. VPN Between Linux and windows NOT based on PPTP

11. OpenSwan - Linux VPN to Linux VPN

12. Installing RH Linux firewall in Home office for security, how can I VPN passthrough?