Using talk as login shell

Post by r.. » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there,
> I was wondering if there are any risks involved specifying
> /usr/bin/talk as the login shell for a user. Thanks,

As long as you're not using 'ytalk' for your talk daemon.. - ytalk can
be made to execute a shell in a talk window.. - don't know if that will
use your default shell, and if the shell it spawns can be set in a
configuration file..

Robert
--

|          php3/c/perl/html/c++/sed/awk/linux/sql/cgi/security             |
|         My statements are mine, and not necessarily cistron's.           |

Using talk as login shell

Post by Pascal Haakm » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any risks involved specifying
/usr/bin/talk as the login shell for a user. Thanks,

Using talk as login shell

Post by Pascal Haakm » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

>> Hi there,

>> I was wondering if there are any risks involved specifying
>> /usr/bin/talk as the login shell for a user. Thanks,

>As long as you're not using 'ytalk' for your talk daemon.. - ytalk can
>be made to execute a shell in a talk window.. - don't know if that will
>use your default shell, and if the shell it spawns can be set in a
>configuration file..

Thank you! I'm not using ytalk at all, so no problems there.

--
The CSMA posting style test
http://awacs.dhs.org/csmatest/

1. using born shell script as login shell?

Is there any problem with using a #!/bin/sh script as a login shell (i.e., in
the passwd file) for a user account.  I'd like the user to be able to access
various applications from the shell script and be logged off after
terminating the script.

This is not an attempt at a security measure.  Escape to a unix prompt from
the script is not a problem, although it should'n happen accidentallly.

2. PGP-elm

3. Problem using TCSH as login shell

4. .Xsession help

5. Using gnu screen as default login shell

6. Please help with PRIOCNTL system call for RT programming

7. What's the most common used login shell?

8. measure time in milli or micro sec accuracy

9. is using /etc/passwd as the login shell a security problem?

10. Determine if login shell using /bin/csh

11. Using screen as a login shell

12. 3004-004 You must "exec" login from lowest login shell

13. /dev/pts/12: 3004-004 You must "exec" login from the lowest login shell.