Newbie: Firewall blocking httpd(?)

Post by Richard Devit » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:00:19

What I am trying to do seems so simple, I don't understand why I can't
get it to work.  If there is some obvious documentation/FAQ that I've
missed, please point me there.

I have a RedHat 7.1 system attached to an adsl modem.  There is no LAN
involved; no second network card.  PPPoE is installed and running, and I
can operate as a Web client.  Apache is installed and httpd starts at
boot-up.  Following instructions, I thought I had the firewall
configured properly to let through http requests.  However, I can't get
this machine to act as a Web server (even locally).  My ISP _does_ allow
me to run a Web server.

At firewall install time, I chose maximum security, but to let Web
requests through.  Since them, I have restated those settings through
lokkit and gnome-lokkit.  I tried to do it through the firewall config
program as well, enabling all incoming requests to port 80.

I can ping the machine from elsewhere on the Internet, but a browser
just sits there, eventually saying the host is not responding.  If I try
to access it from a local browser, it says the request was rejected.

For the next while, I have the luxury of also having a cable modem
(different ISP) with a separate machine hooked up to it.  When I try a
Web access from this second machine, I see repeated flashes of the cable
modem transmit/receive lights, as if it's retrying.  Over on the adsl
modem, I see corresponding repeated flashes of its receive/transmit
lights.  It appears the two are talking, but no Web page comes back.

In a totally different environment, I have successfully run a Linux 7.0
Web server (no firewall) on a LAN, so I know it can work, and the
biggest difference here is the presence of the firewall.

Richard Devitt

Newbie: Firewall blocking httpd(?)

Post by Bob Staa » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 08:44:31

Richard,

     Sounds to me then that Apache isn't configured properly.  The firewall
doesn't even come into play if you are trying access the web server from the
machine itself.  Are you sure Apache is starting at boot as Red Hat 7.1 does
not do that by default, you have to enable Apache after the install.  The
easiest way to be sure it is running is to bring up a console window and
type "top" and see if you see httpd in the results, if not Apache is not
running.

Hope this helps

Bob

Quote:> What I am trying to do seems so simple, I don't understand why I can't
> get it to work.  If there is some obvious documentation/FAQ that I've
> missed, please point me there.

> I have a RedHat 7.1 system attached to an adsl modem.  There is no LAN
> involved; no second network card.  PPPoE is installed and running, and I
> can operate as a Web client.  Apache is installed and httpd starts at
> boot-up.  Following instructions, I thought I had the firewall
> configured properly to let through http requests.  However, I can't get
> this machine to act as a Web server (even locally).  My ISP _does_ allow
> me to run a Web server.

> At firewall install time, I chose maximum security, but to let Web
> requests through.  Since them, I have restated those settings through
> lokkit and gnome-lokkit.  I tried to do it through the firewall config
> program as well, enabling all incoming requests to port 80.

> I can ping the machine from elsewhere on the Internet, but a browser
> just sits there, eventually saying the host is not responding.  If I try
> to access it from a local browser, it says the request was rejected.

> For the next while, I have the luxury of also having a cable modem
> (different ISP) with a separate machine hooked up to it.  When I try a
> Web access from this second machine, I see repeated flashes of the cable
> modem transmit/receive lights, as if it's retrying.  Over on the adsl
> modem, I see corresponding repeated flashes of its receive/transmit
> lights.  It appears the two are talking, but no Web page comes back.

> In a totally different environment, I have successfully run a Linux 7.0
> Web server (no firewall) on a LAN, so I know it can work, and the
> biggest difference here is the presence of the firewall.

> Thanks,
> Richard Devitt

Newbie: Firewall blocking httpd(?)

Post by Richard Devit » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:55:37

Bob:

You were right.

The appropriate link (K15httpd) is in the various /etc/rc.d directories,
but somehow it never starts.  I just added a line to /etc/rc.local to
start httpd and it works fine.  Someday when I get beyond newbie status,
I'm sure I'll understand.  In any event, this is no longer a subject for
the Linux security newsgroup.

Thanks for your help,
Richard

> Richard,

>      Sounds to me then that Apache isn't configured properly.  The firewall
> doesn't even come into play if you are trying access the web server from the
> machine itself.  Are you sure Apache is starting at boot as Red Hat 7.1 does
> not do that by default, you have to enable Apache after the install.  The
> easiest way to be sure it is running is to bring up a console window and
> type "top" and see if you see httpd in the results, if not Apache is not
> running.

> Hope this helps

> Bob

> > What I am trying to do seems so simple, I don't understand why I can't
> > get it to work.  If there is some obvious documentation/FAQ that I've
> > missed, please point me there.

... deleted ...

1. Installing httpd to /var/httpd or to /usr/local/etc/httpd

Hello:

Question:

If I add a user to my linux (slackware 96 2.0.0 with apache) how can I
also give him a web directory?  (automatically.  what I do now is
change their home directory to /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/their_name
and I am sure this is wrong).  Also, I am just doing this on my own
lan.

What about permissions for cgi-bin for example?  I had to change the
owner of cgi-bin to the user who was logging in before he could upload
files.  I tried changing the group but this did not help.

I have looked in faqs etc. but I have not found an answer (or
recognized it).

Peter

2. Added New Memory Not Seen by Linux

3. Non blocking socket blocks; says 'read would block' ?

4. Missing widgets in KDE 2

5. Two location blocks in httpd.conf

6. Harddisk partitions

7. Making CGI app.fork server proc and not block HTTPD

8. Unable to mount ext2 fs - bad magic number?

9. iptables blocks httpd, why?

10. Firewall and httpd

11. NCSA httpd v1.4 - firewall question

12. W3C httpd behind firewall with SOCKS server

13. TIS Proxy Firewall - httpd