How to see your Log File?

Post by Mike Lande » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have my first firewall in place Linxu redhat 6.1. Do I have to include a
line in the firewall to log or does it do it by default? If so how do you
access the Log.

Mike

How to see your Log File?

Post by Jeff Gerar » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You need to tell it to log with the -l flag..then all logging can be found in
/var/log/messages by default.

> I have my first firewall in place Linxu redhat 6.1. Do I have to include a
> line in the firewall to log or does it do it by default? If so how do you
> access the Log.

> Mike

How to see your Log File?

Post by Bit Twist » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Now that you are on rh6.1, put this in you browser, and read
file:/usr/doc/ipchains-1.3.9/HOWTO.html

Then go here
        http://sites.inka.de/sites/lina/freefire-l/index.en.html
for a tighter firewall script.  Select deny and hardcode ip addresses.

--
The warrenty and liability expired as you read the message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

How to see your Log File?

Post by D. Stimit » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I have my first firewall in place Linxu redhat 6.1. Do I have to include a
> line in the firewall to log or does it do it by default? If so how do you
> access the Log.

> Mike

The -l option to ipchains logs for that chain. You might want to
experiment with adding it to any deny rules, since sometimes you get
unintended logging that can be rather cruel to your drive space.

For example, ipchains -A input -i ppp0 -s 0/0 139 -p TCP -l -j DENY

1. How can I split a log file into several log files?

Hello, I need to setup a log server.  This in itself is no problem, but if I
have several different systems
logging to one system and one logfile it makes it kind of hard to scan
through.
On the log server, there is the syslog file which contains several different
systems logs.
I'm trying to get something like:
syslog_system1
syslog_system2
syslog_system3
etc...
Does anyone know of a utility or script that could perform this for me?
Or is there something in syslog.conf I can do?
Thanks very much!
Don

2. wierd lvm behavior.

3. wierd stuffs in proxy log file and back end server log file

4. Xpmac_mga problem

5. Expected </Files> but saw </Files>??

6. Time based login restriction for group

7. Anyone seen this /var/log/messages output before?

8. Problem about SUN Sparc running OS 4.1

9. Seeing who is logged in via PPP dial-in

10. USB keyboard not seen at log in

11. CHAP, pppd, and Seeing Who Is Logged In

12. command last sees user still logged on !

13. browser not responding but SSL logs sees connection