any way of making login have less or more bad password attempts?

any way of making login have less or more bad password attempts?

Post by Dere » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is there any way of making login so it will disconnect a user after one
login attempt,
and also, is there any way to make it so a user has unlimited login attempts
(yeah i know, bad security practice, its a controlled server though).

Thanks in advance.

any way of making login have less or more bad password attempts?

Post by Grega Brem » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:39:31

...and Derek used the keyboard:

Quote:>Is there any way of making login so it will disconnect a user after one
>login attempt,
>and also, is there any way to make it so a user has unlimited login attempts
>(yeah i know, bad security practice, its a controlled server though).

Hi, Derek,

See the /etc/login.defs file, it should be reasonably well commented
to start with, but you also have a (semi-finished) manual page for it
in section 5 of the system manual. This, in the case you're dealing
with /bin/login and programs that utilize it when allowing a user to
communicate with your computer, either at the console, or over the
network (programs such as telnet, ssh, rlogin, ...).

Note that I don't know exactly how PAM handles these, but I imagine
there's some other means of configuring it (like a PAM module), in
addition to login.defs.

If you're referring to anything else (f.e. ftp logins), there are
other configuration files for respective services.

Cheers,
--
    Grega Bremec
    grega.bremec-at-gbsoft.org

1. Log bad login attempts?

Is there a way to log all bad  ftp, anon. ftp and telnet attempts to a
file?

Thanks!

Chad Peterson

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

2. Changing host ID

3. recording any login attempt good or bad

4. downloading question

5. Password-less logins with SSH 1.2.27?

6. Applets in "Kicker"

7. Screenblank and Solaris 2.3

8. Suggest ways to install Linux on 486 CDROM-less system

9. Authentication using login passwords a bad idea

10. login slow w/bad password

11. New Login Prompt after Login Attempt HELP!!!

12. ssh1 password-less RSA login - how secure is that? better ways?