Netscape bug?

Post by The Incubu » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

If I want to open a site I made in windows (using notepad), and I include
some Java in it, my Netscape 4.5, running under linux RedHat 6.0, just
closes itself.

I thought I would have forgot to enable "java apps & scripts", but those
checkboxes are also diasbled, even when I am root.

What must I do?

Netscape bug?

Post by Allen Won » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

    Occasionally, Netscape 4.51 will shut down when loading a javascript
enabled web site.  I turn off java & javascript to keep this from
happening.  I hear that upgrading to 4.61 would solve this problem.  I
haven't tried this.
    Also, do NOT start Netscape as "root".  I seem to recall receiving a
warning about a java-based virus last year.  Having "root" starting
Netscape could cause you alot of problems if you encounter a java-based
virus.

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.

Netscape bug?

Post by wre » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You need to add a font path to one of the configuration files (don't remember
details). Redhat site has info on this ....

> Hi there,

> If I want to open a site I made in windows (using notepad), and I include
> some Java in it, my Netscape 4.5, running under linux RedHat 6.0, just
> closes itself.

> I thought I would have forgot to enable "java apps & scripts", but those
> checkboxes are also diasbled, even when I am root.

> What must I do?

Netscape bug?

Post by Michael Mars » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: You need to add a font path to one of the configuration files (don't remember
: details). Redhat site has info on this ....

I had this same problem.  I found the solution by searching for "linux"
at the Netscape site.  I tried to find it at RedHat, but had some
difficulties.  It was on the first page of matches from Netscape, though.

Now if I could just stop Netscape from going nuts...

:> Hi there,
:>
:> If I want to open a site I made in windows (using notepad), and I include
:> some Java in it, my Netscape 4.5, running under linux RedHat 6.0, just
:> closes itself.
:>
:> I thought I would have forgot to enable "java apps & scripts", but those
:> checkboxes are also diasbled, even when I am root.
:>
:> What must I do?

--

"And then Lancelot, Galahad, and I leap out of the Rabbit."
 -- Sir Bedemere

Netscape bug?

Post by Yong S. Y » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> If I want to open a site I made in windows (using notepad), and I include
> some Java in it, my Netscape 4.5, running under linux RedHat 6.0, just
> closes itself.

> I thought I would have forgot to enable "java apps & scripts", but those
> checkboxes are also diasbled, even when I am root.

> What must I do?

Ah, the infamous font path problem with RH6. You need to add the 75dpi
(or was it 100dpi?) font path to /etc/X11/fs/config, then restart xfs.
Mine looks like:

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

By the way, since we're on the subject of fonts and font servers (heh),
I should mention you should check out `xfstt` (do a search on
freshmeat.net or something). TrueType font server for X11. You can use
your Windows' .ttf fonts. Very cool. Hopefully this feature will be
integrated into XFree86 4.0...

Let me know what works and what doesn't.

-y.

--
Yong S. Yi          KeyID 1024/0AF3C425        http://async.org/~ysyi/
PGP Key Fingerprint = 3A 65 AE 82 07 2A EF 73  0B 84 67 5D 1D 96 9F 8D

Netscape bug?

Post by John DeDour » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Ah, the infamous font path problem with RH6. You need to add the 75dpi
>(or was it 100dpi?) font path to /etc/X11/fs/config, then restart xfs.
>Mine looks like:

>catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
>        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
>        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
>        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
>        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
>        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
>        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

A comparison with a more-or-less vanilla install of RedHat 6.0 WITH
the latest patches, shows that the last line of the above "catalogue"
is the new one (ALONG WITH the comma on the preceeding line).

I also note that the "100dpi" fonts RPM does not appear to be installed
by default in a vanilla RedHat install.