Logging telnet and ftp sessions

Post by anon » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to log every character
that is typed during telnet and ftp sessions?

Is this already being done somewhere by default?

Thanks in advance,
Mike H.

Post by Ted Knupk » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to log every character
> that is typed during telnet and ftp sessions?

> Is this already being done somewhere by default?

> Thanks in advance,
> Mike H.

For ftp, you need to start the daemon with the -l -d options.
This will cause ftpd to log everything to syslog.   Check
man ftpd for more info on this.

Ted

Logging telnet and ftp sessions

Post by Glitc » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

you can't as far as i know, what happens if a user uses a graphical ftp
client? Although commands go through still they originate by a graphical
client.

if you look at an ftp log you will see that only the starting and
stopping of sessions is recorded b/c nothing else is possible to
record....if you were on teh command line within a shell of course your
history file would show your keystrokes but and actually if a person
uses telnet they would be in a shell so in a telnet session just check
the user's history file, with ftp it's not possible

Post by Ambo » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> you can't as far as i know, what happens if a user uses a graphical ftp
> client? Although commands go through still they originate by a graphical
> client.

This comment is a red herring. ftp uses a certain command set, and these
commands are always used, so whatever you do with a mouse would be
translated into e.g. CWD ...

My ftp transfers are logged to /var/log/xferlog.

man ftpd will tell you how to specify what to log and where to log it,
you have to then change the invocation in inetd.conf and/or the
configuration in the /etc/ftp* files. Depending on what you do you may
have to fiddle with /etc/syslog.conf as well.

HTH

1. How to log all telnet/ftp/rlogin sessions???

Hi *,

I wish to log all telnet/rlogin/ftp sessions in one of the
admin files.  But I couldn't find anything that can be done
by syslogd like daemons.  Certainly, I can write a script
file to do this.  But is there any better way???

Thanks in advance!!

  --Eric

--
***************************************---       Grad. student          ---*
* Obviousness is always the enemy of  *   \     Jui-Lin Lu (Eric)      /   *

***************************************---   Univ. of Missouri-Rolla    ---*

2. Problems using xvidtune

3. Logging telnet/ftp sessions

4. MODEM HANGUP EVERY (90%) 32 MINUTES

5. How to log telnet session?

6. partitioning

7. Telnet session logging

8. A tutorial for a beginer

9. Logging Telnet Sessions to a Text File

10. Log Telnet Session?

11. log telnet session information

12. logging outgoing telnet sessions to catch 'hackers'

13. how to log telnet sessions without ANSI characters