Linux's equivalent to FreeBSD's 'watch'

Post by grac.. » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 05:56:36

I'm familiar with the FreeBSD's 'watch' command where one logged in as
root can monitor and interact with another user's session, but does
anyone know if there's such a util in linux?  I hope so as it can at
times prove to be quite a useful diagnostic tool to help resolve users'
problems (among other uses).

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Linux's equivalent to FreeBSD's 'watch'

Post by Felix Tille » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:52:36

Quote:> I'm familiar with the FreeBSD's 'watch' command where one logged in as
> root can monitor and interact with another user's session, but does
> anyone know if there's such a util in linux?  I hope so as it can at
> times prove to be quite a useful diagnostic tool to help resolve users'
> problems (among other uses).

Watch, Swatch and several other monitoring utilities come with Mandrake
8.1, so I suppose they are common to most Linix distributions.  If not,
try the Linux section of www.tucows.com, and see if you can get it there.

Post by SpeedMa » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:00:33

> I'm familiar with the FreeBSD's 'watch' command where one logged in as
> root can monitor and interact with another user's session, but does
> anyone know if there's such a util in linux?  I hope so as it can at
> times prove to be quite a useful diagnostic tool to help resolve users'
> problems (among other uses).

Perhaps this is applicable:

http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/djg/ttysnoop.shtml

If you google on ttysnoop you will find many additional links.

Regards,

SpeedMan

Post by grac.. » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 01:15:46

>> I'm familiar with the FreeBSD's 'watch' command where one logged in as
>> root can monitor and interact with another user's session, but does
>> anyone know if there's such a util in linux?  I hope so as it can at
>> times prove to be quite a useful diagnostic tool to help resolve users'
>> problems (among other uses).

> Perhaps this is applicable:

> http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/djg/ttysnoop.shtml

> If you google on ttysnoop you will find many additional links.

Thanks for the reply,

I've looked into ttysnoop a little bit, but the docs only reference
using it on virtual consoles and on telnet sessions (neither of which
typically get used too frequently on the rack mounted servers thousands
of miles away I'd like to use this on as they're only assessible via
ssh).  Has anyone or does anyone know how to use ttysnoop on ssh
sessions?

Thanks again for the reply,

Bill

1. Linux's equivalent to FreeBSD's 'watch'

I'm familiar with the FreeBSD's 'watch' command where one logged in as
root can monitor and interact with another user's session, but does
anyone know if there's such a util in linux?  I hope so as it can at
times prove to be quite a useful diagnostic tool to help resolve users'
problems (among other uses).

Thanks in advance,

Bill

2. Need Uncrashable PC for Absolute Novice!

3. Linux's '/sbin/service network restart' equivalent in FreeBSD ?

4. kikbd in Mandrake 7.2

5. seeking linux equivalent to 'outportb' and 'inpw', please

6. how to recover ld.so.1

7. linux equivalent to 'outportb' and 'inpw', please

8. ipcs

9. OT: Linux's eqivalent to 'watch'

10. what's awk(1)'s equivalent of sed(1)'s `!d' flag?

11. NEED equivalent 'C' command to 'SETPWFILE' under solaris 2.x

12. Problems with installing two Linux's - 'setup' and 'lilo'

13. KDE Failes to find '__ti6QFrame' in 'ld-elf.so.1' on FreeBSD